Why does the Fourier transform of an aperture give Fraunhofer diffraction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
TheDestroyer
Messages
401
Reaction score
1
a Fourier transform of an aperature results the pattern of the fraunhofer diffraction fringes at infinity of light passing that aperature.

How can we understand that point physically? I tried much to think about it! but no use.

Everyone, Please give your thought about this, so I can have many views about this.

Thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'physical' understanding; the result you mention is due to mathematically modeling the process of diffraction.

Goodman's book "Introduction to Fourier Optics" has a clear derivation of the result in chapter 4 or 5.
 
I have Hecht book, It explains the thing mathematically only, And I mean by physical understanding, the relation between the nature and the mathematical Fourier transform, For example you can relate the Curl operator with nature by saying a wire containing an electric current produces a rotating magnetic field.