Why Does the Integral of e^(iz)/z Over an Expanding Semicircle Converge to Zero?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
mahler1
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement .

Let ##\gamma_r:[0,\pi] \to \mathbb C## be given by ##\gamma_r(t)=re^{it}##. Prove that ##\lim_{r \to \infty} \int_{\gamma_r} \dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz=0##.

The attempt at a solution.

The only thing I could do was:
## \int_{\gamma_r} \dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz=\int_0^{\pi} \dfrac{e^{ire^{it}}ire^{it}}{re^{it}}dt##

This last expression equals to ##\int_0^{\pi} \dfrac{e^{ire^{it}}ire^{it}}{re^{it}}dt=\int_0^{\pi} e^{ire^{it}}idt##. At this point I got stuck, this expression ## e^{ire^{it}}## looks horrible to me and I don't know what to do with it.

The curve ##\gamma_r## is the upper half of the circle of radius ##r##, according to the statement as the radius of the circle tends to infinity, the value of the integral goes to zero. I would like to understand intuitively why this is the case and how the function ##\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}## behaves.

I would appreciate some help and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##\gamma_r:[0,\pi] \to \mathbb C## be given by ##\gamma_r(t)=re^{it}##. Prove that ##\lim_{r \to \infty} \int_{\gamma_r} \dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz=0##.

The attempt at a solution.

The only thing I could do was:
## \int_{\gamma_r} \dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz=\int_0^{\pi} \dfrac{e^{ire^{it}}ire^{it}}{re^{it}}dt##

This last expression equals to ##\int_0^{\pi} \dfrac{e^{ire^{it}}ire^{it}}{re^{it}}dt=\int_0^{\pi} e^{ire^{it}}idt##. At this point I got stuck, this expression ## e^{ire^{it}}## looks horrible to me and I don't know what to do with it.

The curve ##\gamma_r## is the upper half of the circle of radius ##r##, according to the statement as the radius of the circle tends to infinity, the value of the integral goes to zero. I would like to understand intuitively why this is the case and how the function ##\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}## behaves.

I would appreciate some help and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Use the bound [tex] \left|\int_\gamma f(z)\,dz\right| \leq L(\gamma) \sup_\gamma |f(z)|[/tex] where [itex]L(\gamma)[/itex] is the length of the curve [itex]\gamma[/itex].

Note that [itex]e^{ire^{it}} = e^{ir\cos t}e^{-r\sin t}[/itex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
pasmith said:
Use the bound [tex] \left|\int_\gamma f(z)\,dz\right| \leq L(\gamma) \sup_\gamma |f(z)|[/tex] where [itex]L(\gamma)[/itex] is the length of the curve [itex]\gamma[/itex].

Note that [itex]e^{ire^{it}} = e^{ir\cos t}e^{-r\sin t}[/itex].

Thanks, that inequality is the key to the solution. Now, working on the right member of the inequality

##L(\gamma) \sup_\gamma |f(z)|=\int_0^{\pi} |rie^{it}|dt\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|##

This last expression equals to ##\int_0^{\pi} |rie^{it}|dt\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|=r\pi \sup_{\gamma}|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|=r\pi \sup_{\gamma}|\dfrac{e^{-r\sin(t)}}{r}|##

I have problems to find a bound for the expression ##r\pi\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{-r\sin(t)}}{r}|##. I would like to get to an expression with an ##r## on the denominator, something like ##\dfrac{k}{r^c}## with ##k## constant and ##c\geq 1##, but I don't know how to get to that.
 
The r cancels out, next the exponentional tends to zero as r tends to infinity, do you agree?
 
mahler1 said:
Thanks, that inequality is the key to the solution. Now, working on the right member of the inequality

##L(\gamma) \sup_\gamma |f(z)|=\int_0^{\pi} |rie^{it}|dt\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|##

This last expression equals to ##\int_0^{\pi} |rie^{it}|dt\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|=r\pi \sup_{\gamma}|\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|=r\pi \sup_{\gamma}|\dfrac{e^{-r\sin(t)}}{r}|##

I have problems to find a bound for the expression ##r\pi\sup_\gamma|\dfrac{e^{-r\sin(t)}}{r}|##. I would like to get to an expression with an ##r## on the denominator, something like ##\dfrac{k}{r^c}## with ##k## constant and ##c\geq 1##, but I don't know how to get to that.

Unfortunately [itex]f(z) = e^{iz}/z[/itex] is a case where this bound doesn't give a sufficiently accurate bound for the integral. But one can instead use [tex] \left| \int_{t_1}^{t_2} f(Re^{it}) iRe^{it}\,dt \right| \leq R\int_{t_1}^{t_2} |f(Re^{it})|\,dt.[/tex] In this case you end up needing to find an estimate for [itex]\int_0^\pi e^{-R\sin t}\,dt[/itex]. Fortunately the symmetry about [itex]t = \pi/2[/itex] allows the use of Jordan's Inequality to find an easily integrable [itex]g_R: [0,\pi/2] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]e^{-R\sin t} \leq g_R(t)[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [0,\pi/2][/itex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
dirk_mec1 said:
The r cancels out, next the exponentional tends to zero as r tends to infinity, do you agree?

The supremum of [itex]e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] on [itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi[/itex] (which must be calculated before taking the limit of r) is 1 (occurring at [itex]t = 0[/itex] and [itex]t = \pi[/itex]), so in fact there is no exponential.
 
pasmith said:
Unfortunately [itex]f(z) = e^{iz}/z[/itex] is a case where this bound doesn't give a sufficiently accurate bound for the integral. But one can instead use [tex] \left| \int_{t_1}^{t_2} f(Re^{it}) iRe^{it}\,dt \right| \leq R\int_{t_1}^{t_2} |f(Re^{it})|\,dt.[/tex] In this case you end up needing to find an estimate for [itex]\int_0^\pi e^{-R\sin t}\,dt[/itex]. Fortunately the symmetry about [itex]t = \pi/2[/itex] allows the use of Jordan's Inequality to find an easily integrable [itex]g_R: [0,\pi/2] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]e^{-R\sin t} \leq g_R(t)[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [0,\pi/2][/itex].

Hmmm, I couldn't go further:

As you've written, it is true that ##|\int_0^{\pi}f(re^{it})rie^{it}dt|\leq r\int_0^{\pi} |f(re^{it})|dt##.

The member from the right is ## r\int_0^{\pi} |f(re^{it})|dt=r\int_0^{\pi} |\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|dt##.

Now, we are studying a limit for ##r \to \infty##, so let's analyze this last expression for ##r>1##:

Using the fact that ##\dfrac{1}{r}<1## and that ##e^{-r\sin(t)}\leq 1## (given ##r>0## and ##t \in [0,\pi]##), we get

##r\int_0^{\pi} |\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|dt\leq r \int_0^{\pi}1=r\pi##

Now, arriving to that expression doesn't help at all, I would get a sort of opposite conclusion: as ##r \to \infty##,##\space## ##\int_{\gamma_r}\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz \to \infty##.

What else can I do to get a useful bound for the integral's absolute value?
 
mahler1 said:
Hmmm, I couldn't go further:

As you've written, it is true that ##|\int_0^{\pi}f(re^{it})rie^{it}dt|\leq r\int_0^{\pi} |f(re^{it})|dt##.

The member from the right is ## r\int_0^{\pi} |f(re^{it})|dt=r\int_0^{\pi} |\dfrac{e^{ir\cos(t)}e^{-r\sin(t)}}{re^{it}}|dt##.

This can be further simplified: both [itex]e^{ir\cos t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{it}[/itex] are equal to 1. Thus [tex] r \int_0^\pi |f(re^{it})|\,dt = \int_0^\pi e^{-r \sin t}\,dt.[/tex]

Now, we are studying a limit for ##r \to \infty##, so let's analyze this last expression for ##r>1##:

Using the fact that ##\dfrac{1}{r}<1## and that ##e^{-r\sin(t)}\leq 1## (given ##r>0## and ##t \in [0,\pi]##), we get

You have already demonstrated by using the crude "length of curve times supremum" method that the bound [itex]e^{-r\sin t} \leq 1[/itex] is not good enough to do the job. You need something which actually varies with [itex]r[/itex].

Since [itex]e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] is symmetric about [itex]t = \pi/2[/itex] we have [tex] \int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} e^{-r\sin t}\,dt.[/tex] If you could find an easily integrable [itex]g_r[/itex] such that [itex]g_r(t) \geq e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] for [itex]t \in [0,\pi/2][/itex] and [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt \to 0[/itex] as [itex]r \to \infty[/itex] then it would follow that [tex] \int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} e^{-r \sin t}\,dt \leq 2\int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt.[/tex] and thus [tex] 0 \leq \lim_{r \to \infty} \int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt \leq 2\lim_{r \to \infty} \int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt = 0.[/tex]
Try using Jordan's Inequality as I suggested.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
pasmith said:
This can be further simplified: both [itex]e^{ir\cos t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{it}[/itex] are equal to 1. Thus [tex] r \int_0^\pi |f(re^{it})|\,dt = \int_0^\pi e^{-r \sin t}\,dt.[/tex]
You have already demonstrated by using the crude "length of curve times supremum" method that the bound [itex]e^{-r\sin t} \leq 1[/itex] is not good enough to do the job. You need something which actually varies with [itex]r[/itex].

Since [itex]e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] is symmetric about [itex]t = \pi/2[/itex] we have [tex] \int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} e^{-r\sin t}\,dt.[/tex] If you could find an easily integrable [itex]g_r[/itex] such that [itex]g_r(t) \geq e^{-r\sin t}[/itex] for [itex]t \in [0,\pi/2][/itex] and [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt \to 0[/itex] as [itex]r \to \infty[/itex] then it would follow that [tex] \int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt = 2\int_0^{\pi/2} e^{-r \sin t}\,dt \leq 2\int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt.[/tex] and thus [tex] 0 \leq \lim_{r \to \infty} \int_0^\pi e^{-r\sin t}\,dt \leq 2\lim_{r \to \infty} \int_0^{\pi/2} g_r(t)\,dt = 0.[/tex]
Try using Jordan's Inequality as I suggested.

Yes, sorry, that suggestion was extremely helpful:

We want to get a bound for
##2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} e^{-r\sin(t)}dt##.

Since ##r\geq 0##, the function ##e^{-rx}## is decreasing for ##x\geq 0##. This means that if ##x_1<x_2 \implies e^{-rx_1}\geq e^{-rx_2}##.

For ##t \in [0,\dfrac{\pi}{2}]##, ##\sin(t)\geq 0##, and using Jordan's inequality, we get ##\dfrac{2}{\pi}t\leq \sin(t)##. But this means ##e^{-r\sin(t)}\leq e^{-r\dfrac{2}{\pi}t}##.

This last inequality implies ##2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} e^{-r\sin(t)}dt\leq 2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} e^{-r\frac{2}{\pi}t}dt##.

The value of that integral is ##\dfrac{\pi}{r}(1-e^{-r})## and this expression tends to zero when ##r \to \infty##.

Since by a chain of inequalities, we get ##0\leq |\int_{\gamma_r}\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz|\leq \dfrac{\pi}{r}(1-e^{-r})##, it follows ##\int_{\gamma_r}\dfrac{e^{iz}}{z}dz \to 0## when ##r \to \infty##.

pasmith, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions you gave me.