Why does the Sun need sunlight?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's amateur speculation about the transformation of photons into electrons and the role of solar radiation in maintaining communication between the Sun and planets. However, these ideas are not consistent with established scientific literature and the conversation is ultimately closed.
EVL361753
TL;DR Summary
Why does the Sun need sunlight?
A photon is different from an electron. At least by the fact that it is neutral. But, flying into the silicon lattice, it knocks out an electron and takes its place. That is, it becomes an electron.

How does such a magical transformation happen?
I may be wrong, but I think that a photon becomes an electron just by changing the direction of rotation.
That is, a proton, an electron, a photon are the same particle that has different directions of rotation.
Continuing my amateur guesses, I will develop my idea. If a photon (light) differs from an electron only in the direction of rotation, then theoretically the flow of photons can be affected (for example, by a magnetic field), change the rotation and turn it into a flow of electrons and / or protons.
I may be wrong, but I think that this is the key to solving the existence of such a phenomenon as the "Solar Wind".
Getting to the Earth, the flow of photons turns into a set of electrons (or protons). Why is this necessary? So that the Earth sits firmly in orbit. I understand that the Earth itself has a non-neutral charge, quite definite (positive or negative). But the charge can be lost (as with any battery). And the Sun "recharges" the Earth. That is, sunlight is not an abstract thing, but a mechanism for maintaining communication between the Sun and the planets of the Solar system.
Hence the explanation of the variability of solar radiation (periods of solar activity). When the Sun "feels" the weakening of the connection, it emits more light.

I would like to hear the opinion of respected physicists. Thanks.

• Skeptical
  • Haha
Likes davenn, weirdoguy and Motore
Physics news on Phys.org
EVL361753 said:
I may be wrong, but I think that a photon becomes an electron
This is very wrong. It violates the conservation of spin, charge, and four-momentum

Likes nasu and PeroK
EVL361753 said:
Summary:: Why does the Sun need sunlight?

I would like to hear the opinion of respected physicists.
Noen of this is correct.

EVL361753 said:
A photon is different from an electron. At least by the fact that it is neutral. But, flying into the silicon lattice, it knocks out an electron and takes its place. That is, it becomes an electron.
No, it does not. The photoelectric effect does not turn photons into electrons.
EVL361753 said:
How does such a magical transformation happen?
It doesn’t.
EVL361753 said:
I may be wrong, but I think that a photon becomes an electron just by changing the direction of rotation.
As mentioned above this violates several conservation laws: charge, spin, four-momentum, angular momentum, and probably others.
EVL361753 said:
That is, a proton, an electron, a photon are the same particle that has different directions of rotation.
No, an electron with a different direction of rotation is another electron, not a photon or proton.
EVL361753 said:
Continuing my amateur guesses, I will develop my idea.
On PF, all posts must be consistent with the professional scientific literature. Personal speculation is not permitted. Therefore this thread is closed.
EVL361753 said:
If a photon (light) differs from an electron only in the direction of rotation,
It doesn’t. It also differs in mass, spin, and charge.

EVL361753 said:
I may be wrong, but I think that this is the key to solving the existence of such a phenomenon as the "Solar Wind".
If you have specific non-speculative questions about the solar wind then please open a separate thread. Remember to ask questions about the current state of understanding and not provide your personal speculation.
EVL361753 said:
Getting to the Earth, the flow of photons turns into a set of electrons (or protons). Why is this necessary? So that the Earth sits firmly in orbit.
This is a complete non-sequitor. Nothing about the flow of photons or solar wind particle’s stabilizes the earth’s orbit.
EVL361753 said:
I understand that the Earth itself has a non-neutral charge, quite definite (positive or negative). But the charge can be lost (as with any battery).
Batteries don’t lose or gain charge, despite the common vernacular. They lose or gain chemical potential energy.

EVL361753 said:
And the Sun "recharges" the Earth. That is, sunlight is not an abstract thing, but a mechanism for maintaining communication between the Sun and the planets of the Solar system.
Charge is also largely unrelated to communication.
EVL361753 said:
Hence the explanation of the variability of solar radiation (periods of solar activity). When the Sun "feels" the weakening of the connection, it emits more light.
If you have questions about the variability of solar activity please ask in a separate thread without proposing such speculative mechanisms.
EVL361753 said:
I would like to hear the opinion of respected physicists. Thanks.
Unfortunately, it is not positive at all. Thread closed.

Likes davenn

1. Why does the Sun need sunlight?

The Sun, like all other stars, is powered by nuclear fusion reactions that convert hydrogen into helium. These reactions require extremely high temperatures and pressures, which can only be sustained by the intense heat and energy produced by sunlight.

2. How does the Sun use sunlight?

The Sun uses sunlight to generate energy through the process of photosynthesis. This is when the Sun's energy is used by plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and glucose. This process is essential for all life on Earth.

3. Can the Sun survive without sunlight?

No, the Sun cannot survive without sunlight. As mentioned before, sunlight is essential for the Sun to sustain the high temperatures and pressures needed for nuclear fusion reactions. Without sunlight, the Sun would eventually cool down and cease to exist as a star.

4. How does sunlight reach the Sun?

Sunlight reaches the Sun through the process of radiation. This is when energy is transferred through electromagnetic waves. The Sun receives sunlight from other stars and sources in the universe, which helps to sustain its energy production.

5. What would happen if the Sun stopped receiving sunlight?

If the Sun were to suddenly stop receiving sunlight, it would eventually cool down and cease to exist as a star. This would have catastrophic effects on Earth and all other planets in our solar system, as they would lose the Sun's warmth and light, making it impossible for life to survive.