Why does voltage = energy/charge?

In summary: From an energy perspective, voltage is defined as the energy required to move a unit charge from a point in a static electric field to a point outside the field.The definition of voltage came about because energy is involved; it is simply the amount of energy required to move a unit charge.
babaliaris
When you say ##i = \frac{dq}{dt}## it makes sense since current is the flow of charge over time. But why was voltage defined as
##v = \frac{dw}{dq}## ? What made physicians define it in this way? Is there a mathematical way that can lead to this definition or
did they define voltage just on the spot?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

Yes: via force. Completely analogous to gravitational force and gravitational potential energy:

Electric field is force per charge.
Field is conservative so you can define a potential V with E as the spatial derivative of V.

Force times ##dx## is energy; force per charge times ##dx## is energy/charge.

It is a useful definition. Put a charge q at some point in a field where the potential is w. Now add a second charge of the same amount and sign. The charge is 2q, the potential is 2w, but the energy/charge remains unchanged. We call that ratio E (I don't like using v for that meaning.)

The Volt is based on Energy. A given charge (say 1 Coulomb) will require 1 Joule of Energy to move it between two plates with 1 Volt across them. It doesn't matter what the separation is; spread them wide and the Field is low and the Force is small but moved over a large distance ; bring them close together and the Force will be huge but the distance small. In both cases, the Force times Distance will still be 1J.
In another lab on another planet, the sizes of the units will be different so there's nothing particularly significant about the 1C,1J and 1V. It's just particularly convenient.

For those familiar with i=dq/dt and p=v*i, the definition v=dw/dq is natural and reasonable because p= v*i =(dw/dq)*(dq/dt) = dw/dt.

babaliaris said:
When you say ##i = \frac{dq}{dt}## it makes sense since current is the flow of charge over time. But why was voltage defined as
##v = \frac{dw}{dq}## ? What made physicians define it in this way? Is there a mathematical way that can lead to this definition or
did they define voltage just on the spot?
Well, ##\frac{dw}{dq}## is something. You could call it anything.

Whatever you call it, it has the same role to play in physics, which is determined by its definition alone; and not by what name you give it.

Likes sophiecentaur
In order to reason, explain and discuss electrical things it is necessary to identify or construct a minimum set of what appear to be fundamental state variables and parameters, then give them agreed names and units. Our collection of terms has evolved over the ages to be internally consistent and functional.

From a component point of view, capacitance is defined as the ratio of charge to voltage;
C = Q / V; and the energy stored is; E = ½ · C · V²
Eliminate C, and you get; E = ½ · Q / · V ;
∴ E / Q = ½ · V

Likes sophiecentaur

1. Why is voltage equal to energy divided by charge?

Voltage is defined as the potential difference between two points in an electric field. This means that it represents the amount of work required to move a unit of charge from one point to another. Therefore, voltage is directly proportional to the amount of energy required to move a charge, and inversely proportional to the amount of charge being moved.

2. How does voltage relate to the flow of current?

Voltage is the driving force behind the flow of electric current. When there is a difference in voltage between two points, it creates an electric field which causes charges to move from the higher voltage point to the lower voltage point. This movement of charges is what we refer to as electric current.

3. Is voltage the same as electric potential?

While voltage and electric potential are often used interchangeably, they are not exactly the same. Electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Voltage, on the other hand, is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electric field.

4. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured in volts (V) using a device called a voltmeter. A voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit or component being measured, and it measures the potential difference between two points by measuring the current flow through a known resistance.

5. What is the relationship between voltage and power?

Voltage and power are related through Ohm's law, which states that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This means that for a given amount of power, the voltage will increase as the resistance decreases, and vice versa.