Why Does Wire Orientation Affect the Motor Effect in Electromagnets?

In summary: However, I did do some research on this topic and found that a thicker wire has a higher chance of experiencing the catapult effect. This is due to the fact that the thicker wire has more surface area in contact with the magnetic field. This causes more electrical current to flow through the wire.
Josielle Abdilla
Hii... can someone explain to me why the electromagnetic wire doesn't experience any motor effect when in parallel to the magnetic field of the permanent magnet? And why does a thicker wire increases the catapult effect?
Ty in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to look up the term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catapult_effect said:
In electromagnetics, the catapult effect is a phenomenon occurring when a current is passed through two wires connected by a loose wire in a magnetic field. The loose wire is then catapultedhorizontally away from the magnetic field. This occurs due to the magnetic forces acting in the wires and in the magnetic field itself.

Josielle Abdilla said:
And why does a thicker wire increases the catapult effect?
That sounds counter-intuitive... do you have a reference which shows this? Like anorlunda, I'm unfamiliar with this subject.

anorlunda said:
I suspect that the real topic is the Lorentz Force
I assumed that, but I'm curious how a larger mass of conductor would incur a greater force... A larger current obviously would but a larger conductor with the same current? Suprising.

The only thing I can think of is eddy currents.

Josielle Abdilla said:
Hii... can someone explain to me why the electromagnetic wire doesn't experience any motor effect when in parallel to the magnetic field of the permanent magnet? And why does a thicker wire increases the catapult effect?
Ty in advance :)
Your first question is quite obvious. Imagine an electromagnet exerting a magnetic field towards the right. This means, that for practical purposes, it has a magnetic field going to the right. Then, we have a magnet also exerting its magnetic field to the right. Both the magnetic fields are "in sync" with each other. There is no motive for either magnetic fields to move at all. They are perfect.

As for your second question, I don't think I have the expertise.

Related to Why Does Wire Orientation Affect the Motor Effect in Electromagnets?

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that can attract or repel objects made of certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. It is caused by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within a substance.

How does magnetism work?

Magnetism works through the interaction between electric currents and the magnetic fields they create. This means that when electrically charged particles move, they create a magnetic field, which can then interact with other magnetic fields to produce attractive or repulsive forces.

What is the catapult effect?

The catapult effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a magnet is placed near a metallic object. The magnet creates a magnetic field, which induces a current in the metallic object. This current then creates its own magnetic field, which interacts with the magnet's field to produce a force that can propel the object away from the magnet.

What are some real-life applications of the catapult effect?

The catapult effect has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to create images of the body's internal structures.

Can the catapult effect be harnessed for energy production?

Yes, the catapult effect is an important principle in the production of electricity through electromagnetic induction. This process involves using a magnet and a coil of wire to induce a current, which can then be harnessed to generate electricity. This is the basis for many types of power plants, including hydroelectric, wind, and solar power plants.