Why doesn't an electron lose energy between components?

In summary, an electron doesn't dissipate energy as it flows to the lower potential terminal between components - i.e. when the electron isn't traveling through any circuit component, but just the wire. For example, I know the electron will transfer energy to heat as it moves through a resistor, or light and heat as it moves through a filament lamp, but why would it also not be losing energy between these components?
shrey012
I understand that in an electrical circuit, a positive test charge will gain electrical potential energy when moving from the negative to positive terminal of a battery (as it's moving against the electric field); it will then naturally flow around the circuit back to the negative terminal as it "falls back" from a higher electrical potential to a lower electrical potential.

However, I cannot see why an electron (or "positive test charge" if we stick with conventional current flow) doesn't dissipate energy as it flows to the lower potential terminal between components - i.e. when the electron isn't traveling through any circuit component, but just the wire. For example, I know the electron will transfer energy to heat as it moves through a resistor, or light and heat as it moves through a filament lamp, but why would it also not be losing energy between these components?

If you raise a ball to a particular height and let it fall, it immediately starts dissipating the gravitational potential energy (into kinetic energy). You can also transfer the energy into other forms if you put things along its path (e.g. a viscous liquid to transfer some of the energy to heat) - these additional "things" could represent the circuit components. However, between the "circuit components", the ball will still be dissipating energy.

Lastly, once an electron has transferred all its energy after it passes through the last component, how is it still able to move to the lower electrical potential terminal of the battery?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is not a sort of currency that is owned by individual charge carriers and used to pay tolls as it travels. The energy is stored in and transferred by the fields.

If energy were carried by the charge carriers then it would take many minutes between when you close a switch and when a light bulb would light. The charge carriers move very slow, the energy moves very fast, as fast as the fields change, this shows that the energy is carried by the fields not the charge carriers.

Likes davenn and vanhees71
shrey012 said:
However, I cannot see why an electron (or "positive test charge" if we stick with conventional current flow) doesn't dissipate energy as it flows to the lower potential terminal between components - i.e. when the electron isn't traveling through any circuit component, but just the wire. For example, I know the electron will transfer energy to heat as it moves through a resistor, or light and heat as it moves through a filament lamp, but why would it also not be losing energy between these components?

If you raise a ball to a particular height and let it fall, it immediately starts dissipating the gravitational potential energy (into kinetic energy). You can also transfer the energy into other forms if you put things along its path (e.g. a viscous liquid to transfer some of the energy to heat) - these additional "things" could represent the circuit components. However, between the "circuit components", the ball will still be dissipating energy.

Lastly, once an electron has transferred all its energy after it passes through the last component, how is it still able to move to the lower electrical potential terminal of the battery?

Thank you very much.

The problem with your analogy is that we don't quite have something with "negative mass". If we do, then it will "fall up" to get to a lower energy state. The closest we have in terms of that analogy is a bubble (which, if you know quantum field theory and condensed matter physics, is considered as the positive holes in a conductor/semiconductor). A bubble wants to go up, because that is where it will have a lowest potential energy. Similarly, for helium and hot-air balloon.

Zz.

shrey012 said:
If you raise a ball to a particular height and let it fall, it immediately starts dissipating the gravitational potential energy (into kinetic energy).

That isn't what "dissipate" means. Its definition is: "cause (energy) to be lost, typically by converting it to heat". The potential energy of the ball is converted to kinetic energy during the fall, however. I don't say all this to be nit-picky, but because energy in a circuit is lost in a non-conservative manner, unlike the conversion of gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy (a conservative process because gravity is a conservative force).

shrey012 said:

There is still a potential difference between the last component and the battery or other voltage source (regardless of whether or not you can think of this in terms of single electrons, which you really can't).

shrey012 said:

If you treat wires as ideal conductors (zero resistance) then both ends of a wire between components is at the same potential. In practice real world wires behave like low value resistors, they do have a small resistance and so there is a small voltage drop.

Consider the analogy with a falling ball.
When a ball falls in the atmosphere, it dissipates heat in the form of heat,in a non conservative manner.
But when it falls thru vacuum, no heat is released.
An ideal wire is analogous to a vacuum pocket; when the electron 'falls' through the wire, it doesn't lose any energy.
Other components of the circuit which provide resistance maybe compared to the atmosphere;both cause the respective bodies to lose energy.

Note: the wires used in everyday circuits have a small resistance . But there exist materials which pose 0 electrical resistance to flowing current,namely superconductors. The whole of this thread isn't enough to encompass the awesomeness and the wonders of superconductors.

vidit jain said:
Consider the analogy with a falling ball.
When a ball falls in the atmosphere, it dissipates heat in the form of heat,in a non conservative manner.
But when it falls thru vacuum, no heat is released.

That's a interesting analogy. A steady current through a non-ideal wire can be thought of as balls falling at terminal velocity then.

Drakkith said:
...energy in a circuit is lost in a non-conservative manner, unlike the conversion of gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy (a conservative process because gravity is a conservative force).

That is true if you're talking about a resistor or light bulb. Electrical energy is conserved when converted to potential energy stored in a magnetic or electric field.

1. Why doesn't an electron lose energy between components?

Electrons are stable particles with a constant charge and mass. As they move through a circuit, they do not lose any energy because they do not collide with other particles or experience any friction.

2. What prevents electrons from losing energy as they move through a circuit?

The structure of atoms and the behavior of electrons are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics. According to these laws, electrons can only exist in specific energy levels and cannot lose energy unless they jump to a lower energy level, which does not occur in a circuit.

3. Why do electrons not lose energy when they encounter resistors in a circuit?

Resistors in a circuit are designed to impede the flow of electrons. However, the electrons do not actually lose any energy when they pass through the resistor. Instead, the energy is converted into heat and dissipated into the surrounding environment.

4. Is there any scenario in which electrons can lose energy while moving through a circuit?

In certain cases, electrons can lose energy in a circuit, such as when they encounter a magnetic field or when they emit photons. However, these scenarios are not common in everyday circuits and do not result in a significant loss of energy.

5. How does the conservation of energy apply to the movement of electrons in a circuit?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In a circuit, the total energy of the electrons remains constant as they move through different components, as any energy lost is either converted into another form or transferred to other particles in the circuit.