Why doesn't my collision detection between two Area2D objects in Godot 4 work?

In summary, There could be several reasons for two Area2D objects not colliding in Godot 4. Make sure both objects have a collision shape and proper collision layers and masks, and that the nodes are active and enabled. To check if collision detection is happening, use the area_entered or body_entered signals, or print the collision_layer and collision_mask properties. Both signals can be used for collision detection, but the body_entered signal is only emitted for objects with a physics body. If the objects have different collision layers and masks, they will not collide, so make sure they have at least one shared layer and mask. Collision detection can affect performance, so it's important to optimize by disabling it for distant objects or using
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I've followed steps from a tutorial on how to set up collision detection between two Area2D objects. It's not working and I can't figure out why.
Hi everyone

I'd like to detect collisions between a circle and a floor.

I have set them up as follows:

1684196663869.png

1684196709419.png
1684196621540.png

1684196743781.png
The script runs fine (it's just a circle falling towards the floor), but nothing happens when the two objects collide.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong?Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Darkmisc said:
Does anyone know what I've done wrong?
Yes, (1) following a tutorial blindly without thinking and (2) giving up before you have tried to find the problem.

Before you add the 'if body.is_in_group' code you should test to see if the '_on_body_entered' event is firing.

1. Why is my collision detection not working properly in Godot 4?

There could be a few reasons why your collision detection is not working as expected. First, make sure that both of your Area2D objects have a CollisionShape2D node as a child and that they are set to the correct shape and size. Additionally, check that the "Monitorable" property is enabled for both objects. It's also possible that your objects are not colliding in the designated area due to their movement or positioning, so make sure to check those as well.

2. How can I troubleshoot my collision detection in Godot 4?

The best way to troubleshoot your collision detection is to use the built-in debugger and print statements. You can use the "print()" function to check the values of your objects and see if they are colliding or not. Additionally, you can use the debugger to step through your code and see where the issue may be occurring.

3. Is there a difference in collision detection between Godot 4 and previous versions?

Yes, there are some changes to collision detection in Godot 4 compared to previous versions. One major change is the introduction of the "Monitorable" property for objects, which allows for more control over which objects can detect collisions. Additionally, the collision detection algorithms have been improved for better performance and accuracy.

4. How can I optimize my collision detection in Godot 4?

To optimize your collision detection in Godot 4, make sure to use simple collision shapes whenever possible. Complex shapes, such as concave polygons, can significantly impact performance. You can also enable the "Continuous" property for your objects, which will ensure that they are always checking for collisions, even during high-speed movements.

5. Can I use custom collision shapes in Godot 4?

Yes, you can use custom collision shapes in Godot 4 by creating a CollisionShape2D node and setting its shape to a custom shape, such as a concave polygon. However, keep in mind that using complex shapes can impact performance, so it's recommended to use simpler shapes whenever possible.