Why doesn't my # of Posts change?

• Thread starter ShadowKnight
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around post counts in the General Discussion forum and the impact of a particular thread on the forum's activity and atmosphere. It is mentioned that General Discussion is often filled with useless chitchat and that the closure of a certain thread may have contributed to the quietness in the forum. There is also a mention of the presence of serious and argumentative threads in the forum.
ShadowKnight
I've been stuck at 38 posts for a while now even though I've posted way more than that here. Maybe it's the count of how many threads started? But I know I haven't started 38 threads either...

Physics news on Phys.org
Posting in a general discussion thread does not increase your post count.

Thanks - that makes sense. I do much more passive reading in the other areas.

Ah the answer to my question.
Could this be somewhere prominent for newbies.
I was a tad confused as to why I was posting but appeared to have posted nothing

Well,that's the policy around here.General Discussion is special and,unfortunately,filled with useless chitchat.At least lately.Thankfully a thread of useless 8000+ posts got locked and,hopefully,Evo and the others will be more careful to the relevance of certain discussions.

Daniel.

EDIT:Voilà:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=80168

Last edited:
Useless?
I'm thinking that Wolrams belly button lint experiments{along with Ivans theory of it being formed under pressure} will lead to a new type of fluff rocket fule.
Or at the very least lead to a whole new industry of belly button cleaners.

dextercioby said:
Well,that's the policy around here.General Discussion is special and,unfortunately,filled with useless chitchat.At least lately.Thankfully a thread of useless 8000+ posts got locked and,hopefully,Evo and the others will be more careful to the relevance of certain discussions.
:biggrin: Yes, Dex was only the 10th highest poster in that thread with a mere 395 useless posts. :wink:

Among the last 6000,mine were only 10.:tongue: Useless indeed.;)

EDIT:I still own the first reply in that thread and most of the intelligent ones... :tongue2:

Daniel.

Last edited:
I think closing that thread's really hurt General Discussion.when we had that thread,people did most of their useless chitchat there and not in serious threads but now people do lots of useless chitchat in every threads even serious ones!Most of threads are not on topic or even productive like before.and I think General Discussion is a bit boring these days.I mean everyone is getting to be too serious most of time and even some of members don't come here as much as before!

*Kia* said:
Ah the answer to my question.
Could this be somewhere prominent for newbies.
I was a tad confused as to why I was posting but appeared to have posted nothing
It's about as prominent as it can get. It's right at the top of the General Discussion index page as an announcement titled something like, "Post Count in General Discussion." :tongue2:

About the only thing that could make it stand out more would be to use a different color font on the title of the announcement. Maybe Greg should make announcement titles Red or something so they are more eye-catching.

Lisa! said:
I think closing that thread's really hurt General Discussion.when we had that thread,people did most of their useless chitchat there and not in serious threads but now people do lots of useless chitchat in every threads even serious ones!Most of threads are not on topic or even productive like before.and I think General Discussion is a bit boring these days.I mean everyone is getting to be too serious most of time and even some of members don't come here as much as before!
There are serious threads in GD? :bugeye: Where?! (Just kidding.) Nah, it's really no different with that thread around or not. But I think closing that thread might have sent some people back to the other forums rather than idling their day away in GD, so while GD got quieter (not that quiet though), it's probably for the better that folks are back in the other forums.

Yeah GD has been a bit quite lately. And most threads quickly get off track when GD members are posting in them, for example this one :smile:

Moonbear said:
There are serious threads in GD?
I'm talking about threads that people are almost arguing with each other because of their personal attack but luckily they can't fight physically. :wink:

it's probably for the better that folks are back in the other forums.
Esp. franzbear's mother!

1. Why doesn't my # of Posts change after I publish a new post?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that your post is still in the process of being published and hasn't been fully updated yet. Another possibility is that you have a caching plugin or service that is temporarily storing your content and not showing the most recent changes. Lastly, it's possible that there is a technical issue with your website or blog that is preventing the new post from being displayed.

2. Why does my # of Posts sometimes decrease instead of increase?

This could be due to a few reasons. It's possible that you have accidentally deleted a post or that a post was deleted by someone else with access to your website. Another possibility is that you have made changes to a post that caused it to be marked as a draft or unpublished, therefore reducing your total number of posts.

3. Why does my # of Posts not match the number of posts displayed on my homepage?

There could be a few reasons for this discrepancy. One possibility is that your homepage is only displaying a certain number of posts, such as the 10 most recent ones, while your total number of posts includes all posts, even those not displayed on the homepage. Another possibility is that you have a plugin or setting that is excluding certain posts from being displayed on your homepage.

4. Why does my # of Posts vary on different pages of my website?

This could be due to the way your website is set up. For example, if you have a blog section and a separate page for your portfolio, your # of Posts may be different on each page because they are counting different types of content. It's also possible that your website has different sections or categories, each with their own # of Posts count.

5. Why doesn't my # of Posts update when I edit a post?

In most cases, editing a post will not change the total number of posts on your website. This is because the post already exists and is simply being updated, rather than being counted as a new post. However, if you have made significant changes to the post, such as changing the title or URL, it may be counted as a new post and increase your total # of Posts.