Why Don't Gases Make a Boom When They Exceed the Speed of Sound?

• Thread starter ssor1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gases
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the speed of sound and the speed of molecules in an ideal gas. It is explained that while some molecules may exceed the speed of sound, the overall average speed of the gas may not, which is why gases do not go "boom" when their molecules exceed the speed of sound. The poster is encouraged to continue asking questions and exploring the world around them.
ssor1
Hello

My first posting and doubtless it betrays my ignorance :smile:

Doing the basic maths for an ideal gas, I find that the speed of a molecule exceeds the speed of sound through the same gas. I know jets make a terrific 'boom' when they break the sound barrier. Why don't gases go boom? Or have I got the maths wrong? I like to think Nature very kindly chooses to break her own laws rather than let trifling molecules break the sound barrier, which would offend the ears of us more significant particles. Am I right or am I wrong? Any advice would be most welcome :approve:

ssor1

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello ssor1,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your interesting question. I can assure you that your doubts and questions are not a sign of ignorance, but rather a sign of curiosity and a desire to understand the world around us.

To answer your question, let's first clarify what we mean by the speed of sound. The speed of sound is the speed at which a sound wave travels through a medium, such as air. This speed is dependent on the properties of the medium, such as temperature and density. In an ideal gas, the speed of sound is directly proportional to the square root of the gas's temperature.

On the other hand, the speed of a molecule is dependent on its mass and the temperature of the gas. In an ideal gas, the average speed of a molecule is directly proportional to the square root of the gas's temperature.

Now, to your question about why gases don't go "boom" when their molecules exceed the speed of sound. The answer lies in the difference between the speed of sound and the speed of an individual molecule. While the speed of sound is a measure of how fast a sound wave travels through a medium, the speed of an individual molecule is just one molecule's speed in a particular moment. In an ideal gas, there are billions of molecules moving at different speeds, with some exceeding the speed of sound and some being slower than the speed of sound.

In other words, the speed of sound is an average measure, while the speed of an individual molecule can vary greatly. So, while some molecules in an ideal gas may be moving faster than the speed of sound, the overall average speed of the gas may not exceed the speed of sound. This is why gases do not go "boom" when their molecules exceed the speed of sound.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify things for you. Keep asking questions and exploring the world around you – that's what being a scientist is all about. Best of luck with your future postings! :smile:

Hello ssor1,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions! It's great to see that you're curious and willing to learn more about the behavior of gases.

To answer your question, gases do not produce a "boom" sound when they exceed the speed of sound because they are made up of individual molecules that are very small and spread out. When a jet breaks the sound barrier, it is a large object moving at a high speed and creates a shock wave that produces a loud noise.

On the other hand, gas molecules are so small and spread out that when they exceed the speed of sound, they do not create a shock wave or produce a loud noise. In fact, the molecules are constantly colliding with each other and bouncing off in different directions, so the overall effect is not a loud boom but rather a continuous and random movement.

In short, the scale and behavior of gas molecules are very different from that of a jet breaking the sound barrier, which is why we do not hear a "boom" when gases exceed the speed of sound. I hope this helps to clarify your question. Keep asking and learning, and don't worry about making mistakes - that's how we all learn and grow!

Related to Why Don't Gases Make a Boom When They Exceed the Speed of Sound?

Why Don't Gases 'Boom'?

1. What is the difference between a gas and a combustible gas?

The main difference between a gas and a combustible gas is their ability to ignite and produce an explosion. Regular gases, such as oxygen and nitrogen, do not have the necessary properties to produce a 'boom'. On the other hand, combustible gases, like hydrogen and methane, have the right combination of flammability and oxygen to cause an explosion.

2. Can all gases explode?

No, not all gases have the ability to explode. Gases need to have certain properties, such as being combustible and having the right amount of oxygen, to produce an explosion. In addition, the presence of an ignition source, such as a spark or flame, is also necessary for an explosion to occur.

3. Why do some gases explode while others do not?

The ability of a gas to explode depends on its chemical properties. Gases that have a low flash point, meaning they can ignite at relatively low temperatures, are more likely to explode than gases with a high flash point. In addition, the ratio of oxygen to fuel in a gas mixture also plays a crucial role in determining its explosiveness.

4. Are there any safety measures to prevent gas explosions?

Yes, there are several safety measures that can be taken to prevent gas explosions. These include proper ventilation to prevent the buildup of gases, regular maintenance and inspection of gas equipment, and following safety protocols when handling combustible gases. It is also important to avoid any potential sources of ignition, such as smoking or using open flames, near areas where gases are present.

5. Can gases still 'boom' in space?

Yes, gases can still explode in space. However, the conditions for an explosion in space are different than on Earth. In space, there is no oxygen for combustion to occur, so explosions are more likely to happen in enclosed environments, such as inside a spacecraft or space station, where oxygen is present. Additionally, the lack of gravity in space can also affect the behavior of gases and potentially lead to explosions.