Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why dont we have motw?

1. Aug 22, 2007 #1
    why dont we have motw? someone who is chosen by mentors and others ask any sort of question from scientific to personal matters from him/her? and then after 1 or 2 weeks that person choose someone else instaed of himself and that continues... the first motw might be chosen by mentors and he/she can refuse answering any question if he doesnt want to. what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide a pointer to a forum thread somewhere else where this is done? So we can see what you are referring to.

4. Aug 22, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had never heard of this so I googled it. I think it stands for Member of the Week.

5. Aug 22, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I've never heard of that either. While I wouldn't be the one to disallow it, I probably also wouldn't bother to participate.

6. Aug 22, 2007 #5
    oops...i forgot to say motw stands for what! thats something intersting to do. we can ask some funny/challanging questions and get intersting responses.hey guys u dont want to say theres just noone here whom you want to know more about? here is an example of it:
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76209

7. Aug 22, 2007 #6
    We have member of the year in several categories :)

8. Aug 22, 2007 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, and instead of asking them questions, we throw them into an active volcano. But other that that, it's basically the same idea.

9. Aug 22, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that supposed to be an honor, or a punishment? I'm trying to figure out if I'd want to nominate someone I actually liked to have to put up with a week or two of personal questions from anyone and everyone on the forum! :bugeye:

10. Aug 22, 2007 #9
    Sounds more like Truth or Dare. Actually, more like Truth or Truth.

Okay, here's a question to anybody...the one who answers will be my MOTW for tomorrow: Why am I not able to see the emoticons to the side of the post window? I've been noticing this for the past few hours.

11. Aug 22, 2007 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They've been crammed into a pulldown menu from what I can tell. I thought they had been kidnapped. :cry:

12. Aug 22, 2007 #11
    Yay! They're back...:smile:

MIH MY MOTW. :!!)

13. Aug 22, 2007 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, dear god.. what have I done?!!? :eek:

14. Aug 22, 2007 #13
    You'll be my Member of the Week just for tomorrow. :tongue:

15. Aug 22, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, good thing you have short weeks. :rofl:
    Hey, you're right, the smilies hid! :grumpy:

16. Aug 23, 2007 #15
    :bugeye:
    thats different! i said the first motw is chosen by mentors or perhaps others. then that person chooses the next one. its not a reward or reqognization for someones attempts. its just something for fun and getting to know someone('s oppinions and ideas) better.
    im quite shocked to see that just no one here agree with that. why new ideas are not welcome here at all? this one is quite harmless and isnt like crackpottery.
    i thought you people welcome and value new ideas more than that. im sorry but i have to say its not surprising if other undeveloped countries take the world over during the next few years since they value innovation and new ideas more.:smile:

17. Aug 23, 2007 #16
    as a side note i want to know why people like sitting in front of tv screens watching silly talk shows where some stupid celbs echo his stupid ideas on different matters . matters that they usually they dont have any damn clue what the heck theyre talking about but now they are not even curious to know what a person who works in sciense think of different subjects and how is his view towrds life and world in general. ok perhaps you are not one of those of majority who likes talk shows. so why i make a generalization here where i dont know long enough??????

18. Aug 23, 2007 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Wow! You are able to make the connection between "no one likes my idea" to "other undeveloped countries can take over the world"?

Amazing!

Have you ever considered the possibility that maybe, it isn't such a good idea within the context of this forum, rather than us opposing new creative ideas in general?

Zz.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  19. Aug 23, 2007 #18
    actually its not my idea! im able to see the connection that already exists . if you just dont want to welcome any new idea or at least give it a chance to think about it more then say stuff like "i dont care or that doesnt sound like a good idea", not only you dont get ahead in your personal life but you also might lose your current position. im sorry but it seems to me that people here mostly like to think of new suggestion either as crackpottery theories or jokes. they usually dont bother reconsidering things.
    as for the second part of your past, now that says something. when you want to reject a new idea, you must have good reasons. only coming here saying we dont need that such a idea doesnt sound a sientific approach, you should state why you are not in agree with that and why it doesnt sound like a good ideas.
    sometimes i think people dont take me seriously since i cant post here regularly and i am not familiar with people here.

20. Aug 23, 2007 #19
    I think you and your idea were taken seriously. I am part of other communities who do monthly member recognitions, so that idea is not alien to me. However, I think our community as a whole is happy and content with yearly awards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?