Why is the Equation E=MC2 Significant in Relativity and Energy Equivalence?

• Thread starter Unredeemed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc2
In summary, the equation E=mc^2 shows the equivalence between matter and energy, with c^2 being a conversion factor. This concept is derived from the relativistic kinetic energy formula, where total energy is made up of kinetic energy and mc^2, and the derivation is similar to Newton's formula but using relativistic momentum. Analogies for understanding this concept include thinking of matter and energy as equivalent and c^2 as a conversion factor between kilogram and joule.
Unredeemed
I really do not understand WHY the equation is as it is. I understand what the equation means and how important it is. But for what reason is it so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unredeemed said:
I really do not understand WHY the equation is as it is. I understand what the equation means and how important it is. But for what reason is it so?

The derivation is explained here

1effect said:
The derivation is explained here[/url]

Thank you, however I am still in high school and therefore my knowledge of physics is obviously still small. Is there any simpler way of explaining it?

Unredeemed said:
Thank you, however I am still in high school and therefore my knowledge of physics is obviously still small. Is there any simpler way of explaining it?
Think of it like this: A body emits radiation in frame S in the positive and negative x-direction of equal quantities (but opposite directions). The total momentum of radiation emitted in S is zero. Now look at the same situation as viewed in a frame moving with respect. The total momentum of radiation emitted by the body is now non-zero. The body must account for that change in momentum. Calculation shows that the only way for this to happen is for the mass of the body to decrease. Calculation shows that the amount of energy emitted by the body E is related to the magnitude of the amount of decrease in the mass, m, as E = mc2.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Think of it like this: A body emits radiation in frame S in the positive and negative x-direction of equal quantities (but opposite directions). The total momentum of radiation emitted in S is zero. Now look at the same situation as viewed in a frame moving with respect. The total momentum of radiation emitted by the body is now non-zero. The body must account for that change in momentum. Calculation shows that the only way for this to happen is for the mass of the body to decrease. Calculation shows that the amount of energy emitted by the body E is related to the magnitude of the amount of decrease in the mass, m, as E = mc2.

Pete

Thanks, that helps a lot. But I'm still struggling slightly. Does anyone have any good analogies which might help me understand?

E=mc^2 comes from the relativistic kinetic energy formula

KE = ymc^2 - mc^2

y is gamma, the Lorentz factor.
From that you get

KE + mc^2 = ymc^2 = Mc^2

From that point one can infer that there's a TOTAL energy (ymc^2), made up of kinetic energy plus mc^2. So E=Mc^2 usually means total energy, omitting the gamma and considering relativistic rather than invariant mass.

Now, as for the derivation of the kinetic energy formula, the derivation is identical to Newton's except that relativistic momentum (ymv) rather than ordinary momentum (mv) is used.

As for analogies, just think of matter and energy being equivalent, and c^2 simply being a conversion factor between the kilogram and the joule.

Last edited:

FAQ: Why is the Equation E=MC2 Significant in Relativity and Energy Equivalence?

What is the equation E=mc2?

The equation E=mc2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, is a mathematical representation of Albert Einstein's famous theory of relativity. It states that energy (E) and mass (m) are interchangeable, with the speed of light (c) serving as the proportionality constant between the two.

Why is E=mc2 so famous?

E=mc2 is famous because it revolutionized our understanding of the relationship between matter and energy. It also paved the way for advancements in nuclear energy and led to the development of atomic bombs.

How did Albert Einstein come up with E=mc2?

Einstein derived the equation E=mc2 in 1905 as part of his theory of special relativity. He noticed that the speed of light appeared to be constant, regardless of an observer's perspective, and proposed that energy and mass are two forms of the same thing.

What does E=mc2 mean for us?

E=mc2 has many practical applications in modern technology, particularly in the fields of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons. It also helps us understand the fundamental relationship between mass and energy in the universe.

Is E=mc2 the most famous equation in history?

E=mc2 is certainly one of the most famous equations in history, but it is not the only one. Other famous equations include Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), Pythagorean theorem (a2+b2=c2), and Einstein's general theory of relativity (E=mc2 + 1/2mv2).