Why hasn't gravity been solved for space flight

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am no smart person like the rest of you, but I find it fascinating about how physics works. I am deeply motivated to know about how we would solve this problem about gravity and space flight. Would a particle accelerator be used to help solve this problem or am I way off base?

Answers and Replies

I am no smart person like the rest of you, but I find it fascinating about how physics works. I am deeply motivated to know about how we would solve this problem about gravity and space flight. Would a particle accelerator be used to help solve this problem or am I way off base?
Welcome to Physics Forums! Your question isn't very clear. Could you describe the gravity problem you're referring to?

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Would a particle accelerator be used to help solve this problem
What way were you expecting that it could be used?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I am deeply motivated to know about how we would solve this problem about gravity and space flight.
The problem is that gravity isn't repulsive, it's solely attractive. Without multiple types of "charges", like the EM force has, it is essentially impossible to manipulate gravity in any way except in the trivial manner of moving stuff around to increase or decrease gravity somewhere. But even that is severely limited by the extremely weak strength of gravity compared to the other fundamental forces.

Would a particle accelerator be used to help solve this problem or am I way off base?
It would not.