Why/how does integral of solid angle = pi?

In summary, the text says that flux F = L/(4∏D2) and intensity I = F/Ω. However, it states that I = L/4R2 where R is the radius of the source!
ck99
Hi folks, can someone help explain this in words of one syllable or less? I am looking at a text that compares flux and intensity of a distant source, and it states that

∫∫dΩ = ∏

I know that

dΩ = sinθ dθ d∅

but I don't understand where the given result comes from. What are the limits of integration here, and how does it all work? I assume that we treat the distant source as a circle projected onto our sphere of view, but in that case surely the size of that circle must come into the answer somehow? (EG a large source like the sun would subtend a larger area than Jupiter, they can't both have an area of ∏!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know that [itex]d\Omega= sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi[/itex] you know that [itex]\int\int d\Omega= \int\int sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi[/itex]. And that, assuming for the moment that the limits in one variable do not involve the other, is [itex]-cos(\theta)\phi[/itex]. Since we are free to orient a coordinate system any way we want, we can assume that the lower limits of integration are [itex]\theta= 0[/itex], [itex]\phi= 0[/itex]. And we then want upper limits so that [itex]-cos(\theta)\phi= \pi[/itex]. There are several different combinations of [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] that will do that. Taking [itex]\phi= \pi[/itex], the largest possible, we would need [itex]-cos(\theta)+ cos(0)= -cos(\theta)+ 1= 1[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= 0[/itex] which gives [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex]. But taking [itex]\phi= \pi/2[/itex] we would need [itex]-cos(\theta)+ cos(0)= 1- cos(\theta)= 2[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= -1[/itex] so [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex].

[itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] or [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Which do you prefer? Since you are free to orient you coordinate system however you like are they really different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your response; I understand now how that result is reached but now I don't see how it relates to my problem. In this text, it says that flux F = L/(4∏D2) where D is the distance from the source and L is its luminosity. Then it says that intensity I = F/Ω, which implies that I = L/4D2 if Ω = ∏, but in fact it states that I = L/4R2 where R is the radius of the source!

This last result would be true if Ω = R2 / ∏D2 so I did some research, and the closest I can find is that the solid angle subtended by a distant source is given by area/D2 or ∏R2/D2. (that last result comes from page 5 of this link http://www.drdrbill.com/downloads/optics/photometry/Solid_Angle.pdf )

So I have three different answers, and I can't see how they link together!

1. Why is the integral of solid angle equal to pi?

The integral of solid angle is equal to pi because it is a mathematical representation of the total surface area of a unit sphere. This means that when all the infinitesimal areas of a unit sphere are added together, the result is equal to pi. This is due to the fact that a unit sphere has a total surface area of 4*pi, and the integral of solid angle is a way to measure the amount of surface area covered by a specific angle on the sphere.

2. How is the integral of solid angle calculated?

The integral of solid angle is calculated by taking the double integral of a unit vector over the surface of a unit sphere. This calculation is often done using spherical coordinates, with the limits of integration being from 0 to 2*pi for the azimuthal angle and from 0 to pi for the polar angle. The resulting integral will equate to pi.

3. What is the significance of the integral of solid angle being equal to pi?

The integral of solid angle being equal to pi has several important applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in calculating the flux of a vector field through a closed surface, as well as in the study of electrostatics and magnetostatics. In addition, it is also used in differential geometry and in the development of mathematical models for physical phenomena.

4. Why is the integral of solid angle important in the study of optics?

The integral of solid angle is important in optics because it helps to determine the amount of light that is transmitted through or reflected off of a surface. This is especially useful in the design of optical systems, such as lenses and mirrors, where the amount of light that is focused or directed is crucial. The integral of solid angle is also used in calculating the intensity of light at a specific point, which is important in the study of diffraction and scattering.

5. How does the integral of solid angle relate to the concept of steradians?

The integral of solid angle is closely related to the concept of steradians, which is a unit of measurement for solid angle. One steradian is equal to the solid angle subtended by a unit sphere at its center, and it is equivalent to the area of a spherical cap with a radius of one. The integral of solid angle essentially measures the sum of all the steradians in a given solid angle, which is why it is equal to pi.