Great! Glad to hear you were able to figure it out. Keep up the good work!

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of solid angle and its relation to gas molecules traveling in a volume. The main point of confusion is the statement that the fraction of gas molecules whose trajectories lie in an elemental solid angle is dΩ/4π, which varies with θ. This is explained by the fact that the solid angle element is dependent on the coordinate system and the gas molecules are equally likely to be traveling in any direction, not starting from a specific origin. The concept is further clarified by imagining the data points of gas molecules plotted on a unit sphere, with a given solid angle indicating the fraction of data points within that angle.
albega
In deriving the pressure of a gas, my book states that
'if all molecules are equally likely to be traveling in any direction, the fraction whose trajectories lie in an elemental solid angle dΩ is dΩ/4π'.

This initally made sense to me, but then thinking about it, I wrote dΩ=sinθdθdφ and this means that the fraction whose trajectories lie in an elemental solid angle dΩ is sinθdθdφ/4π. This is confusing me, because the fraction whose trajectories lie in an elemental solid angle varies with θ, which I find a little contradictive given what I have quoted in the first paragraph.

One thing I have noted is that if you do the φ integral, you still have the θ dependence, and this makes sense because as θ varies the remaining annular region gets bigger.

This is just something I have never thought about before, because I then noted that the surface area of a unit sphere is
∫dA=∫dΩ=∫sinθdθdφ
and thus the area element at the top and bottom of the sphere do not contribute to the area as θ=0,π.

So, before I confuse myself even further, would anybody be able to explain why the solid angle element is varying with θ, and how this makes sense when the molecules are supposed to be equally likely to be traveling in any direction and the fraction in some elemental solid angle is dΩ/4π (which varies). Thankyou :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
albega said:
This is confusing me, because the fraction whose trajectories lie in an elemental solid angle varies with θ
It does not. The way your coordinates change within a small solid angle changes, and the sine term accounts for this. It is purely an issue of the coordinate system.

Yes, you have more solid angle per θ at θ=pi/2 than you have at θ=pi/4.

But the fraction whose trajectories lie in an elemental solid angle dΩ is dΩ/4π, so at θ=0 the fraction is zero and at θ=π/2 the fraction is non-zero. I don't understand how that is because of the coordinates?

The amount for a single angle is always zero because a single angle does not span any solid angle.
The fraction between some θ and ##\theta+\delta \theta## depends on θ, that should not be surprising and the sine in the solid angle element reflects that.

mfb said:
The amount for a single angle is always zero because a single angle does not span any solid angle.
The fraction between some θ and ##\theta+\delta \theta## depends on θ, that should not be surprising and the sine in the solid angle element reflects that.

Why should it not be surprising?

I suppose I'm mostly confused about
'if all molecules are equally likely to be traveling in any direction, the fraction whose trajectories lie in an elemental solid angle dΩ is dΩ/4π'
now.

What does it actually mean, to say have a gas in a volume, choose some axis and origin with a spherical coordinate system and angle θ, and find the amount whose trajectories lie in a the range θ,θ+dθ to that axis? What confuses me is, the gas particles are moving all over the place, it's not as though they all start out at the origin and move in their required directions. I guess it makes more sense in my head if I imagine we collect all the particles at the origin at t=0 and let them disperse.

Last edited:
albega said:
Why should it not be surprising?
There is no reason to assume it to be the same, and you already found the "rings" of different size for different small regions of θ.

albega said:
I suppose I'm mostly confused about
'if all molecules are equally likely to be traveling in any direction, the fraction whose trajectories lie in an elemental solid angle dΩ is dΩ/4π'
now.
The total solid angle is 4 pi. This is just a normalization.

"If a value is equally likely to be any real value between 3 and 5, the fraction of values within a range dx is dx/2".
Don't show that to mathematicians because it is an improper way to use a differential, but it should show the idea.

albega said:
it's not as though they all start out at the origin and move in their required directions.
You don't care about the position, just about the flight direction.

albega said:
What does it actually mean, to say have a gas in a volume, choose some axis and origin with a spherical coordinate system and angle θ, and find the amount whose trajectories lie in a the range θ,θ+dθ to that axis? What confuses me is, the gas particles are moving all over the place, it's not as though they all start out at the origin and move in their required directions. I guess it makes more sense in my head if I imagine we collect all the particles at the origin at t=0 and let them disperse.

Instead of thinking about the volume as a volume of gas, you could think about the result applied to a surface that was the result of plotting data. You pick a volume of gas. You measure the velocity of each molecule in the gas and you plot the the result as a unit vector drawn from the origin of an (x,y,z) cartesian coordinate axes. Your data points fall uniformly on the surface of a unit sphere since you are using unit vectors. A given solid angle with vertex at the center of the sphere tells you about the fraction of the total data points that are insde the angle. To get the number of data points inside a given angle, you have to multiply that fraction times number of molecules that were in the volume of gas you measured.

Likes albega
Stephen Tashi said:
Instead of thinking about the volume as a volume of gas, you could think about the result applied to a surface that was the result of plotting data. You pick a volume of gas. You measure the velocity of each molecule in the gas and you plot the the result as a unit vector drawn from the origin of an (x,y,z) cartesian coordinate axes. Your data points fall uniformly on the surface of a unit sphere since you are using unit vectors. A given solid angle with vertex at the center of the sphere tells you about the fraction of the total data points that are insde the angle. To get the number of data points inside a given angle, you have to multiply that fraction times number of molecules that were in the volume of gas you measured.

Thanks - this was the sort of thing I wanted... I managed to satisfy myself before seeing this anyway by imagining freezing all the particles, bringing them to my origin and then letting them go, which is similar to what you said.

1. What is solid angle confusion?

Solid angle confusion is a common misconception in the field of geometry where people often confuse the concept of solid angle with that of a regular angle. A solid angle is a three-dimensional measure of the amount of space an object takes up from a specific point in space, while a regular angle is a two-dimensional measure of the rotation between two lines.

2. How is solid angle different from regular angle?

As mentioned earlier, the main difference between solid angle and regular angle is that solid angle is a three-dimensional measure while regular angle is a two-dimensional measure. Another difference is that solid angle is measured in steradians (sr) while regular angle is measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad).

3. Why is solid angle important in science?

Solid angle is important in science because it allows us to quantify the amount of space an object takes up in three dimensions. This is especially useful in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering where precise measurements of objects and their orientations are necessary.

4. How is solid angle calculated?

The formula for calculating solid angle is: Ω = A/r², where Ω is the solid angle, A is the area of the surface that subtends the angle, and r is the distance from the point of interest to the surface. In simpler terms, solid angle is calculated by dividing the surface area of a sphere (or other three-dimensional object) by the square of its radius.

5. What are some real-life examples of solid angle?

Some real-life examples of solid angle include the apparent size of the sun or moon as seen from Earth, the field of view of a camera or telescope, and the coverage area of a satellite dish. Solid angle is also used to measure the intensity of light emitted from a source, such as a lightbulb or laser beam.