Why I-V curve but not V-I curve

  • Thread starter Thread starter KathC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve I-v
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
KathC
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Why we use I-V curve to show the characteristic of an electrical device but not V-I curve? I think the V-I one is clearer as the gradient would be resistance directly...

My teacher said there is a reason to use I-V, but she couldn't remenber.

Anyone knows?...Thx a lot...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is because it is easy to control the voltage but not easy to control the current. The device responds to the voltage with a current profile. It doesn't respond to current by inducing a voltage.
 
vertigo said:
I think it is because it is easy to control the voltage but not easy to control the current. The device responds to the voltage with a current profile. It doesn't respond to current by inducing a voltage.

Thanks! I think you're right...:)