1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is a black hole with q>e singular?

1. Jul 12, 2003 #1
    Black holes have the properties of angular momentum, mass, and charge. Since electromagnetism is a much stronger inverse-square force than gravity, and like charges repel, wouldn't a black hole with charge q>e avoid singularity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2003 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, this is how a black hole is formed, i.e. the gravitational pull of the star becomes greater than the degenracy pressure caused by electromagnetism and the like.

4. Jul 12, 2003 #3
    Even when a mass is collapsed beyond degeneracy to neutronium, any net charge its eventual "singularity" harbors still retains the property of predominant repulsion.

5. Jul 14, 2003 #4
    Well Loren,..who says inverse square law holds true inside a singularity?:wink:

Creator

6. Jul 14, 2003 #5
    Creator,
    One must achieve the singularity first. In other words, can you derive a minimum net charge/mass relation for collapsing matter to attain a black hole?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  7. Jul 14, 2003 #6
    Beats me; I've not heard of such a calculation. However, even before going singular 1/r^2 likely becomes deficient.

Creator

Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  8. Jul 14, 2003 #7
    What does q>e mean ?

9. Jul 14, 2003 #8

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no minimum mass needed for a black hole (though obviously one formed by steallr evolution has a minimum mass)and charge doesn't enter into it.

10. Jul 14, 2003 #9
    bogdan, q>e means the net collapsing discrete charge, q, is at least 2 times the electon charge, e, in order for like charges to repel.

jcsd, the minimum mass for a black hole is M*, the Planck mass. This quantity derives from the absolute radiative constants c, G and h. Only quanta or their composites weigh less.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook