Why is CO2 canister pressure 60 bar instead of calculated 444 bar?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
b.kiddo44
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
A manufacturer quotes a standard CO2 canister contains 16g of CO2 at a volume of 20cm^3.

So I need to calculate the pressure in the canister...

Using ideal gas law

P = nRT/V
n = 0.364mol (16 of co2)
R = 8.314 J/Kmol (universal gas constant)
T = 294k (gas is at room temp 21 deg C)
V = 20cm3 (volume of canister as quoted)

P = 444 Bar

However the manufacturer quotes the canister pressure to be 60Bar! This seems a bit more realistic to me but I've no idea how this could be the case.

Any thoughts to clear up the confusion?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Good point, but I already did the conversion to m^3 in the calculation to give 444Bar.
 
I don't know chemical very well but maybe there's another formula to calculate pressure.Maybe CO2 supposed to be non-idel gas.
Your equation seems correct.
 
hum, I don't think it matters if the gas is 'ideal' or not. The manufacturer quoting 16g of CO2 in a 20cm^3 canister stored at room temperature. I'm confused as to where the 60 Bar quote comes from.
 
there's only two option.First option this is not an idel gas.Ideal gas make the equation simpler but maybe there's another type of equation which I said before.
Second think As you said its not 60 bar

there's no other option cause our solution is correct.