1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is Co2+ pink?

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    why is Co2+ pink?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 13, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

5. Dec 13, 2005 #4
    sorry about that!!! you're right~
    i mean cobalt ion...
    thank you!!!
  6. Dec 13, 2005 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Adding to what HallsofIvy said, the colors of coordination compunds arises from the splitting of the d-orbitals as explained by the Crystal Field theory.
    If you want more information, you can look up any good inorganic chemistry book like Concise Inorganic chemistry by J.D Lee. I found that coordination compounds are explained well in it.

EDIT: I assumed that you meant Cobalt 2+ complexes.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  7. Dec 13, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

Oops, sorry about that - my fault. The 2+ should have caught my attention.

IIRC, in general the Co2+ is pink, or faintly red. On the other hand, chemweb has CoCl2 as being blue.

A lot may depend on the ligands surrounding Co, since it forms complex ions.

The color depends on the lightwave wavelengths transmitted or reflected. Something red would generally absorb blue light (or light at the blue end of the visible spectrum) and reflect or transmit red light (or light at the red end).
  8. Dec 18, 2005 #7
    thank you very much!!! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?