Why is dV = 2πrh dr for cylinder moment of inertia?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
gboff21
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
I have been deriving the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder and have got this far:
I=∫ r2 dm
and dm=dv *density

h=height
r=radius
[tex]\rho[/tex]=density

To get to the correct I=1/2mr2. you need to make dv=2[tex]\pi[/tex]rh dr
why isn't it dv= dv=[tex]\pi[/tex]r2h
as in volume=cross-sectional area*height
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a circle on the end of the cylinder at radius r. If it goes all the way through the circle, its area is 2πrh. Let dV be this area times an incremental radius, dr:
dV = 2πrh*dr
Imagine it "unrolled" into a rectangular solid to see it clearly.

Don't forget the density.
 
Thanks I've been struggling to get my head round that for a while!