Why Is EMF Induced Only in One Direction in a Moving Conductive Square?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jsmith613
Messages
609
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If I move a SQUARE conductive layer in a forward direction, with a magnetic field pointing vertically upward why is an EMF only induced in the left-right plane NOT the forward-backward plane??

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I would have thought that as BOTH planes are ppd to the mag field an EMF would be induced in both planes?? but this apparently is not the case

apparently the formula is E = (BAN)/t = BLV * sin(x)
what is the angle sin(x)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this doesn't make sense let me re-phrase it:

If I had a brick-shaped object (no hole in the middle) whose height was minimal and I moved it FORWARD.
The field is pointing into the page
attachment.php?attachmentid=46005&d=1333925976.png

why would the induced EMF be along the line AB and NOT CD as well (flux appears to being cut in both directions)?

Has it to do with the right hand rule?? (NOT the grip rule but RIGHT HAND dynamo rule)
thumb up (motion) finger into page and current to left (BA direction??)
 

Attachments

  • EMF.png
    EMF.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 575
Last edited: