Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is friction proportional to velocity?

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    We all know in phenomenological equations we like to add a [itex]-\gamma v[/itex] effective force term to Newton's equation to include frictional effects with the environment. Why this specific shape? I understand it's not fundamental, and that it is not always appropriate, but still it seems to be a good approximation in many cases. Why is this? I understand the intuitive idea that a particle moving gets more collisions head-front and as such will experience a backwards force, but why directly proportional to velocity (and not, say, a square root or a quadratic or... etc)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think it fits as a good first order approximation and makes the DE more tractable.

Similar to the idea with a pendulum system where we assume the angle of oscillation is fairly small so that sin(theta) = theta and the DE become easier to solve.

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    My guess would be that if velocity doubles the amount of surface encountered by an object doubles and therefore friction doubles.

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why is friction proportional to velocity?

In general, it's not. Friction of one dry object against another is fairly constant over a fairly large velocity range. For a solid object moving at a high speed through some fluid, friction is roughly proportional to the square of velocity.

However, friction is roughly proportional to velocity for a solid object moving at a low speed through a fluid. Why proportional to velocity at low speeds, but the square of velocity at high speeds? One key difference is laminar versus turbulent flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook