1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is induced electric field circular?

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    Time-varying magnetic field makes electric field circular(or close loop). I am asking the reason why it is circular or close loop shape?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

The fields are non-conservative. They have to follow the laws of electromagnetism ( discovered by Faraday and Maxwell). In this case, electric field is induced only when there is change in magnetic flux associated with a loop (real or hypothetical).
    So,∫ E⋅dl=dΦB/dt.
    Since the varying flux is associated with a loop, the electric field lines are circular, i.e. they are along the loop. Everything is governed by Maxwell's mighty equations.

4. Dec 9, 2015 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Any vector field can be decomposed into an irrotational part and a solenoidal part. Faraday discovered that the solenoidal part is equal to the time variation of the magnetic field.

5. Dec 9, 2015 #4
    Thank you. But I asked how time-variation of the magnetic field makes electric field rotate, not make it divergence field.

6. Dec 9, 2015 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes. That is what I answered. "Faraday discovered that the solenoidal part..."

Faradays law says ##\nabla \times E =\partial B/\partial t##. In words this says that the circular part of E is equal to the change of B.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook