1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Why is it not possible to see the interference pattern of white light

1. 'The colour seen when white light is used as a source for a Young’s double slit experiment are sometimes mistaken for the spectrum of visible light.'
    Why is this not possible with a two slit interference pattern?

I know that the different wavelengths will all cause interference with each other, but is there a better explanation than this?

2. jcsd
  3. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,889
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because there are so many different wavelengths in white light that the interference pattern from each wavelength overlaps each other and washes out.

Zz.

4. Deleted following insulting reply.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,889
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's sad, considering how easy and cheap it is nowadays to obtain a laser pointer with a good-enough monochromatic light source.

Zz.

6. This is an insulting comment.. I have reported it and I have deleted my response.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,889
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not sure what is "insulting" about that. You obviously read WAY differently than what I wrote.

The "sad" comment was directed at the situation, i.e. that one had to use a white light to demonstrate interference effects, rather than obtaining a simple, cheap, monochromatic light source. You appear to interpret it as being directed at your comment.

Zz.

8. It is possible to see the pattern for white light with 2 slits....we did it at school using car head lamp bulbs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted