Why Is My Calculation of the Geometric Series Incorrect?

In summary, the given series is an infinite geometric series with a common ratio of 1/5 and a first term of 1/625. In order to use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series, the series must start with n=0. By rewriting the series to start with n=0, we can use the formula to find the sum, which is equal to 1/500.
brojas7
[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=4}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{5^{k}}[/itex]

ar^n=a/(1-r)

Here is what I did:

a=5
r=1/625

(1/5)/(1-1/625)=(1/5)/(624/625)=625/3120=125/624

The Answer is 1/500

Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
brojas7 said:
[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=4}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{5^{k}}[/itex]

ar^n=a/(1-r)

Here is what I did:

a=5
r=1/625

(1/5)/(1-1/625)=(1/5)/(624/625)=625/3120=125/624

The Answer is 1/500

Where am I going wrong?

You've got a and r wrong. a is the first term in the series and r is the common ratio. Try again.

Can you rewrite the sum in the form
$$\frac{1}{5^4}\sum_{i=0}^\infty(\text{something})_i?$$ This isn't absolutely necessary, but if you do, you can use the version of the formula with a=1.

Dick said:
You've got a and r wrong. a is the first term in the series and r is the common ratio. Try again.

i meant a to be 1/5...
the first term was 1/625

Fredrik said:
Can you rewrite the sum in the form
$$\frac{1}{5^4}\sum_{i=0}^\infty(\text{something})_i?$$ This isn't absolutely necessary, but if you do, you can use the version of the formula with a=1.

If I do it that way,r would equal 1/5 right?

$$\frac{1}{5^4}\sum_{i=0}^\infty(\text{(1/5)^n})?$$

Yes, assuming that you meant what I hope you meant when you wrote ar^n=a/(1-r), which doesn't really make sense. :smile:

It worked, thank you so much

The sum of an infinite geometric series of the form ##\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n=\dfrac{a}{1-r}##, for ##|r|<1##.

Your given series starts off with ##n=4##. Think you can rewrite the series to make it start with ##n=0##?

SithsNGiggles said:
The sum of an infinite geometric series of the form ##\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty ar^n=\dfrac{a}{1-r}##, for ##|r|<1##.

Your given series starts off with ##n=4##. Think you can rewrite the series to make it start with ##n=0##?

I didn't know in order for the formula to work I had to make n=0. Thanks

Related to Why Is My Calculation of the Geometric Series Incorrect?

What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. For example, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16... is a geometric series where the ratio between each term is 2.

What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is Sn = a1(1-rn)/(1-r), where a1 is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

How do you determine if a geometric series converges or diverges?

A geometric series converges if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. If the absolute value of the common ratio is equal to or greater than 1, the series will diverge.

Can a geometric series have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a geometric series can have an infinite number of terms as long as the common ratio is between -1 and 1. In this case, the series will approach a finite sum as n approaches infinity.

How are geometric series used in real life?

Geometric series can be used to model many real-life situations, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They are also used in various fields of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and linear algebra.