Why is Proving Equality in the Schwarz Inequality Problem Challenging?

In summary, Spivak's Calculus Chapter 1 discusses the Schwarz Inequality and how to complete its proof using problem 18, which involves proofs related to inequalities. The inequality states that if two numbers are not both 0 and there is no number λ such that they are equal to each other, then the sum of their squares will always be greater than 0. The issue is raised that the proof only works under certain conditions and cannot prove the entirety of the inequality. However, it is still a valid proof.
zooxanthellae

Homework Statement

From Spivak's Calculus Chapter 1:

"Suppose that [tex]y_1[/tex] and [tex]y_2[/tex] are not both [tex]0[/tex], and that there is no number λ such that [tex]x_1 =[/tex] λ[tex]y_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2 =[/tex] λ[tex]y_2[/tex]."

Then [tex]0[/tex]<(λ[tex]y_1 - x_1)^2 + ([/tex]λ[tex]y_2 - x_2)^2[/tex].

Using problem 18 (which involved proofs related to inequalities like [tex]x^2 + xy + y^2[/tex]), complete the proof of the Schwarz Inequality.

Homework Equations

None strike me.

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing that's really bothering me about this is that the problem I've given is just part a) of the problem. In part d) I am asked to "Deduce...that equality holds only when [tex]y_1 = y_2 = 0[/tex] or when there is a number λ [tex]\geq 0[/tex] such that [tex]x_1 =[/tex] λ[tex]y_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2 =[/tex] λ[tex]y_2[/tex]. Well, in a) he asked me to assume that both of those things were not true to start my proof. Doesn't this mean that, starting with those conditions, one cannot prove that equality is possible, and thus one can't prove the entirety of the Schwarz inequality (as in, the less than or equal to part)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes assuming what is given, you could prove that \(\displaystyle |<x, y>|< <x, x><y, y>\) while the "Cauchy-Schwarts" inequality only asserts "[itex]\le [/itex]".

However, if you could prove "less than" you would have proved "less than or equal two". The latter is a subset of the former.

I guess my issue is that when I think of proving that something is "less than or equal to" something else, I feel like I have to prove that it could be either less than or equal to that something else. It feels...sloppy not to. I guess that's my hang-up, though.

It is certainly correct to say that "3 is less than or equal to 4". Of course, that is not a very "sharp" inequality!

Related to Why is Proving Equality in the Schwarz Inequality Problem Challenging?

What is the Schwarz Inequality Proof?

The Schwarz Inequality Proof is a mathematical theorem that states the relationship between the dot product and the length of two vectors. It is named after mathematician Hermann Schwarz and is also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality.

What is the formula for the Schwarz Inequality Proof?

The formula for the Schwarz Inequality Proof is |a·b| ≤ |a| · |b|, where |a| and |b| represent the lengths of vectors a and b, and · represents the dot product.

What is the significance of the Schwarz Inequality Proof?

The Schwarz Inequality Proof is significant because it has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to prove other theorems and inequalities, and it is also used in optimization problems and signal processing.

Can the Schwarz Inequality Proof be extended to more than two vectors?

Yes, the Schwarz Inequality Proof can be extended to more than two vectors. The general form of the inequality is |a·b| ≤ |a| · |b| · cosθ, where θ is the angle between the two vectors a and b. This can be extended to multiple vectors by considering each pair of vectors separately.

Are there any other versions of the Schwarz Inequality Proof?

Yes, there are several other versions of the Schwarz Inequality Proof, including the triangle inequality and the Cauchy-Bunyakovsky-Schwarz Inequality. These versions have slightly different forms and applications, but they are all based on the same concept of the relationship between the dot product and the lengths of vectors.