Why is Supremum of a.u Less Than or Equal to r||a||_2?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter peterlam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Norm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
peterlam
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Consider a and u are vector of n entries,
why the supremum of a dot u subject to the 2-norm of u is less than or equal to r equals r times 2-norm of a, i.e. sup{a.u | ||u||_2 <=r} = r ||a||_2?

How can I work out that?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
peterlam said:
Consider a and u are vector of n entries,
why the supremum of a dot u subject to the 2-norm of u is less than or equal to r equals r times 2-norm of a, i.e. sup{a.u | ||u||_2 <=r} = r ||a||_2?

How can I work out that?

Thank you!

Can you please give a definition of the two-norm as I haven't encountered it before (1 and infinity norm, and L^p norms but not "2-norm").
 
chiro said:
Can you please give a definition of the two-norm as I haven't encountered it before (1 and infinity norm, and L^p norms but not "2-norm").
This would be the [itex]\ell^2[/itex] norm, except that here we are simply in a finite-dimensional space. In more conventional notation,

[tex]\sup\{\left<x,y\right>\ :\ \|y\|\leq r\}=r\|x\|.[/tex]

@peterlam: to show LHS [itex]\leq[/itex] RHS use Cauchy-Schwartz .