Why is tension an external force?

In summary, the tension force in the thread is an internal force when looking at the entire system of both particles and the thread. However, in a free body diagram of one particle, the tension force is treated as an external force. It is important to carefully define the system in order to accurately analyze external and internal forces.
velvetmist
When my professor sums external forces (to know if the impulse is constant or not) he always includes tension.
I will use as an example pic related. If my system includes the two particles and the thread, woudn't tension being a internal force?
I'm sorry if it's a silly question, but I also asked it to some friends and they didn't know the answer either. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 6546165468.JPG
    6546165468.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 612
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, when you look at the system of both particles and the thread, the tension force in the thread is an internal force. But what your professor is likely doing is looking at a free body diagram of one of the particles, not both. In a free body diagram, you isolate the particle in question from the rest of the system by making an imaginary cut through the thread (in this case)and around the particle. The tension on the 'cut' thread now becomes an external force on the particle. Anytime you cut an internal force in a free body diagram, it now becomes external in that diagram.

Likes Delta2
PhanthomJay said:
Yes, when you look at the system of both particles and the thread, the tension force in the thread is an internal force. But what your professor is likely doing is looking at a free body diagram of one of the particles, not both. In a free body diagram, you isolate the particle in question from the rest of the system by making an imaginary cut through the thread (in this case)and around the particle. The tension on the 'cut' thread now becomes an external force on the particle. Anytime you cut an internal force in a free body diagram, it now becomes external in that diagram.

Thank you for answering! I don't think so tho. Of course he did the FBD but the sum of the external forces is to check energy conservation, so i haveto take into account the whole system.
The first pic is the FBD. N: normal force; P: mg; T: tension force.
In the secon one, the sum of the external forces. Fv would be something like link force, but i supose that in english you just call them both tension.

Now that I think about it, Fv could be the force between the table and the thread. In that case I'm such an idiot lol

Attachments

• 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 516
  • 35165.jpg
    35165.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 477
velvetmist said:
If my system includes the two particles and the thread, woudn't tension being a internal force?
Yes, if the system includes the two particles and the thread then the tension is an internal force. However, don’t forget that the system can be chosen or defined as desired in order to answer the question, or even multiple systems can be considered. For instance, if a system is defined to be only one particle then the tension force is an external force.

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Why is tension an external force?

1. Why is tension considered an external force?

Tension is considered an external force because it acts on an object from outside of the object's system. It is typically caused by an external agent or force, such as a person pulling on a rope or a spring pulling on an object. This means that the object does not generate the force itself, but rather it is being acted upon by an external source.

2. How does tension affect an object?

Tension can affect an object in various ways. It can cause the object to stretch or compress, depending on the direction of the force. Tension can also cause an object to accelerate or decelerate, depending on the magnitude of the force. Additionally, tension can cause an object to change its shape or position, depending on the strength and direction of the force.

3. Is tension a type of contact force?

No, tension is not a type of contact force. Contact forces are those that act on an object through direct contact, such as friction or normal force. Tension, on the other hand, is a non-contact force that acts on an object through a pulling or stretching action. It does not require physical contact between the object and the external source of the force.

4. Can tension be both an internal and an external force?

Yes, tension can be both an internal and an external force. Tension can be considered an internal force when it acts within an object's system, such as when a rope is attached to both ends of a beam. However, if the rope is attached to an external object and is pulling on the beam, then tension is acting as an external force on the beam.

5. What factors affect the amount of tension in a system?

The amount of tension in a system depends on several factors, including the strength of the external force, the properties of the object being pulled, and the angle at which the force is applied. The more force that is applied, the greater the tension will be. Additionally, objects with greater stiffness or resistance to deformation will experience greater tension for the same amount of force. The angle of the force also affects tension, as a force applied at an angle will result in both a tension force and a normal force acting on the object.