Why is the Author Using Negative Signs in this Circuit Analysis Problem?

In summary, the author is using a negative sign in the diagram to indicate that the calculated current is flowing in the opposite direction of the arrow drawn. This is because the direction of the current is defined in the diagram, but the solution finds that the actual current is flowing in the opposite direction. This can be confusing, but there are many resources available, such as books and videos, to help understand the concept of current flow. Additionally, the use of negative signs in circuit diagrams allows for more flexibility in defining the direction of current flow.
otomanb
why the author is using negative sign there?

r27omo.jpg

And here the problem is different the author is using different current flow signs and one answer is positive and other is negative why is this so?

See this?
http://i42.tinypic.com/2rqdj5w.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Means that the current calculated points in the opposite direction to the arrow drawn on the diagram. Look at the current source - which direction is the current going to flow?

Because the direction of IL is defined in the diagram to be down, and the solution finds that the actual current is flowing up. So you indicate that with IL = -0.25mA.

EDIT -- Beaten out by Simon! :smile:

please see the second pic and reply please! it is contrary with the ist picture!

otomanb said:
please see the second pic and reply please! it is contrary with the ist picture!

Same reason. Look at how the arrows are defined for those two currents, and look at how the actual current flows.

direction of current in both pics is downward but in one pic there is negative sign and in other there is positive ?

otomanb said:
direction of current in both pics is downward but in one pic there is negative sign and in other there is positive ?

Look more closely in the 2nd pic. I1 is up and I2 is down as drawn on the figure.

understanding that.
sir do you have any book or video that will clear my concept about current flow ? because it's very puzzling to me!

To me this is one of the beauties of the physics - you can draw the arrows on your circuits how you like and if you get it wrong, the math gives you a negative sign.

I think there are two sources of confusion here;
1. people get used to currents flowing clockwise around circuits so they end up going top-to-bottom through resistors - just turn the page around.
2. the minus sign was just inserted apropos of nothing in the working ... probably from considering the current source to be negative. If the circuit was a single loop, the reason for the choice would have been trivially obvious. Of course it would also work if you actually compute the equivalent circuit, considering "up" to be positive for current sources.

In the second diagram we can assume any direction of load current, and if the load comes positive than the assumed direction is correct otherwise it is opposite.

Related to Why is the Author Using Negative Signs in this Circuit Analysis Problem?

1. What is a circuit analysis problem?

A circuit analysis problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves analyzing an electrical circuit and determining the values of different parameters, such as voltage, current, and resistance. These problems often require the use of Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws to solve.

2. Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. This is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic devices, as well as for ensuring the safety and efficiency of electrical systems.

3. What are some common techniques used in circuit analysis?

Some common techniques used in circuit analysis include using circuit diagrams, applying Kirchhoff's laws, using Ohm's law, and using circuit analysis software. These techniques help to simplify and solve complex circuit problems.

4. How do you approach a circuit analysis problem?

To approach a circuit analysis problem, it is important to first understand the basic principles and laws governing electrical circuits. Then, carefully analyze the given circuit and identify all the known and unknown parameters. Finally, use the appropriate equations and techniques to solve for the unknown values.

5. What are some common challenges in solving circuit analysis problems?

Some common challenges in solving circuit analysis problems include dealing with non-linear components, solving circuits with multiple unknowns, and dealing with complex circuit configurations. Additionally, making assumptions and approximations may also introduce errors in the solution.