Why is the commutative property not true for conditionally convergent series?

You can't talk about the value of a conditionally convergent series, only the sum of a conditionally convergent series.In summary, being conditionally convergent means that rearranging the terms of a series will not always result in the same sum. This is important because it goes against our intuition of finite addition being commutative, and it shows that the sum of a conditionally convergent series is completely determined by the order of the terms. This can be counterintuitive and can have implications for the value of the series.
member 508213
I know when a series is conditionally convergent and I understand that being conditionally convergent means that rearrangement of the terms will not always lead to the same sum, but I am unsure why exactly this is important? I have not really experienced a time where I am rearranging terms anyway (I am in Calc BC so maybe later on I will but not now). I am studying Taylor Series right now and it seems that conditionally convergent series still converge even if it is not "absolutely". I'm worried I'm missing some large concept because I do not see a big importance if something is conditional or absolute. Thanks for any explanations, I have tried to look online but everything I find seems to only explain how to determine conditional convergence and not the importance (other than explaining the rearrangement of terms part).

Physics news on Phys.org
Austin said:
I know when a series is conditionally convergent and I understand that being conditionally convergent means that rearrangement of the terms will not always lead to the same sum, but I am unsure why exactly this is important? I have not really experienced a time where I am rearranging terms anyway (I am in Calc BC so maybe later on I will but not now). I am studying Taylor Series right now and it seems that conditionally convergent series still converge even if it is not "absolutely". I'm worried I'm missing some large concept because I do not see a big importance if something is conditional or absolute. Thanks for any explanations, I have tried to look online but everything I find seems to only explain how to determine conditional convergence and not the importance (other than explaining the rearrangement of terms part).
The series 1 - 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 +- ... +(-1)n + 1(1/n) + ... converges. The convergence is conditional because the series made up of the absolute values of the terms of this series diverges (1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n + ... is the well-known harmonic series). Absolute convergence is a stronger form of convergence, as it implies the convergence not only of the series in question, but of another series, the one made up of the abs. values of the series in question.

Austin said:
I know when a series is conditionally convergent and I understand that being conditionally convergent means that rearrangement of the terms will not always lead to the same sum, but I am unsure why exactly this is important?

The most important aspect is that it is counter intuitive. Finite addition is commutative ##x+y=y+x##. Conditionally convergent series are not, so this is an example of a property which is true finitely but not infinitely.
Note that "will not always lead to the same sum" isn't the impressive aspect. Any conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to evaluate to any real number. Think about that, I can give you a conditionally convergent series and tell you "rearrange to sum to ##x##" and you will always succeed. It means that the sum of a conditionally convergent series is completely determined by the order.

Related to Why is the commutative property not true for conditionally convergent series?

What is conditional convergence?

Conditional convergence refers to the phenomenon where the growth rate of a country's GDP per capita is dependent on its initial level of GDP per capita. In other words, poorer countries tend to experience faster economic growth compared to richer countries, leading to a narrowing of the income gap between countries over time.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the idea that all countries will eventually reach the same level of GDP per capita, regardless of their initial levels. On the other hand, conditional convergence takes into account the initial level of GDP per capita and suggests that countries with lower levels will experience faster growth, but may not necessarily catch up to the higher-income countries.

What factors influence conditional convergence?

The factors that influence conditional convergence include investment in physical and human capital, technological advancements, institutional quality, and government policies. These factors can affect the growth rate of a country's GDP per capita and determine its level of conditional convergence.

How is conditional convergence measured?

Conditional convergence is typically measured using regression analysis, where the relationship between a country's initial level of GDP per capita and its growth rate is analyzed. The results of the regression can determine if there is evidence of conditional convergence and how strong the relationship is.

What are the implications of conditional convergence?

The implications of conditional convergence are significant for global economic development. It suggests that developing countries have the potential to catch up to the income levels of developed countries, but it may take time and the right policies. It also highlights the importance of investing in human capital and promoting technological advancements to spur economic growth and convergence.