Why is the graviton non-renormalizable?

• Thread starter cuallito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graviton
This means that the theory is not renormalizable, and therefore not predictive. In summary, the reason why the graviton is non-renormalizable is due to the fact that the number of counterterms required in the perturbation expansion grows infinitely, making the theory not predictive.
cuallito
Okay, I've taken relativistic E&M and the first semester of quantum mech.

Why is the graviton non-renormalizable? As I understand it, renormalization means that you can apply a "weight" to the feynman diagrams of an interaction to make it come out right (is that correct?) Why can you not do this for gravitons?

Physics news on Phys.org
cuallito said:
Okay, I've taken relativistic E&M and the first semester of quantum mech.

Why is the graviton non-renormalizable? As I understand it, renormalization means that you can apply a "weight" to the feynman diagrams of an interaction to make it come out right (is that correct?) Why can you not do this for gravitons?

Here are a couple of introductory papers on renormalisation:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0812.3578"

and

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0212049"

Part of the renormalization procedure involves adding counterterms to the Lagrangian. The problem with the conventional approach to quantizing gravity, as I understand it, is that the number of counterterms required grows with each order of the perturbation expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is the graviton non-renormalizable?

The graviton is non-renormalizable because it is a spin-2 particle, which leads to infinite higher-order corrections in quantum field theory. This means that when trying to calculate the interactions of the graviton, the equations become infinitely complex and do not produce meaningful results.

2. How does the non-renormalizability of the graviton affect our understanding of gravity?

The non-renormalizability of the graviton poses a challenge to our current understanding of gravity. It suggests that our current theories, such as general relativity, may break down at very small length scales and high energies. This motivates the search for a more complete theory, such as a quantum theory of gravity.

3. Is the non-renormalizability of the graviton a problem for other particles?

No, the non-renormalizability of the graviton is a unique issue due to its spin-2 nature. Other particles, such as electrons and quarks, have lower spins and do not suffer from the same infinite higher-order corrections.

4. Can the non-renormalizability of the graviton be solved?

There is currently no definitive solution to the non-renormalizability of the graviton. However, many theories, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, attempt to address this issue by proposing a more fundamental description of gravity at the quantum level.

5. How does the non-renormalizability of the graviton impact experiments and observations?

The non-renormalizability of the graviton does not significantly impact experiments and observations at current energy scales. However, it may have implications for high-energy experiments, such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider, where the effects of gravity at very small length scales may become measurable.