1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the limit for theta = pi/2 instead of 2pi?

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    use cylindrical coordinates to find the volume of the solid which is under z=xy, above xy-plane and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=2x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \int_{0}^{pi/2} \int_{0}^{2cos\theta} \int_{0}^{r^2\cos\theta\sin\theta} r\, dz \, dr \, d\theta [/tex]

my professor had it pi/2, but when I do it myself, I dont see how its pi/2. 2pi would make more sense to me since it has a cylinder base.

any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The curve ##r = 2\cos \theta## is fully circulated when ##\theta## goes from 0 to ##\pi##, so I would actually expect the limit to be from 0 to ##\pi##.

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3
    thank you ! Oh i see why its 0 to pi, i just graphed that curve, i see its not centered at (0,0), its in the first and fourth quadrant.
    so i must have made a mistake when I took my notes in the class then?

5. Dec 16, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Either ask one of your colleagues or confirm directly to the lecturer.

6. Dec 16, 2015 #5
    no more classes left for this course though :(

anyway,I just realized that if its 0 to pi, the volume become 0

7. Dec 16, 2015 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah I see why it should indeed be from 0 to ##\pi/2##. The cylinder occupies ##x>0## region of space, but in this region the surface ##z=xy## is positive if ##y>0## and negative if ##y<0##. Because the volume is required to be above xy plane where z is positive, the part of ##z=xy## surface which is negative (that with ##y<0## and ##x>0##) must be ruled out.

8. Dec 16, 2015 #7
    oh interesting, I understand now. in order for z to be positive, y must be positive, which means first quadrant only.
    thx a lot !

9. Dec 16, 2015 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are welcome.

10. Dec 16, 2015 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The third quadrant ##x<0## and ##y<0## would also be allowed by ##0 \leq z \leq xy##, but the cylindrical base ##x^2 + y^2 = 2x## lies completely in the first and fourth quadrants. Altogether, when you impose both conditions your region is restricted to the first quadrant.

11. Dec 16, 2015 #10

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was actually aware of that, that was infact what enables me to write post #2.

12. Dec 16, 2015 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry: wrong response.

I had meant to respond to the OP's post #7, which mistakenly stated that to have ##z > 0## it was necessary to have ##y > 0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted