Why is the linear speed at point M used in calculating EMF in a magnetic field?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Emf Field
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
nokia8650
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
See question below:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/479/30680788kr3.th.jpg

In order to calculate the EMF, the markscheme using the formula "E=Blv", the markscheme uses the linear speed of point M. Can someone please explain why this is the case - I understand the derivation of E=Blv, just not why the linear speed at M is used.

I used a different method (I calculated the area/second and multiplied it by B), however I would be interested to know how the method above manifests itself.

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Work out what v is by using by using speed equals circumference of circle divided by t.It gives the same answer as your method but your method is better.
 
Think of one of the radial lines of length l which is rotating.The velocity of this(and all the other lines)varies from zero at the centre to a maximum at the end.When we use Blv we should take the average velocity which is at the midpoint M.I still prefer your method.