Why is the magnitude of velocity equal to speed

In summary: I think I was unclear. Average velocity is the change in displacement over time. Average speed is the distance traveled divided by the time it took to travel that distance.)Assuming that you are referring to my earlier question:Go back to the fundamental definition of average velocity: change in displacement over time. When an object completes a circular path, what's the change in its displacement?If so, then the net displacement of an object that completes a circular path is zero--since it returns to where it started. And that means the average velocity over that path is zero. (But the average speed remains non-zero.)I'm referring to instantaneous velocity. Assuming the speed remains constant in the circular motion,
Helicobacter
1. solved
2. All movements in our universe are caused by the four fundamental forces. When I lift my arm, by which of these four forces is that caused by?
3. Why is the magnitude of velocity equal to speed and the magnitude of average velocity not equal to average speed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total distance travelled, which is, as you said, a scalar, is the length of the trajectory of the object.

Your answer inspired me to think about it in a different way. Thank you radau.
Answers to 2 & 3 are greatly appreciated...

You are converting biochemical energy into mechanical energy when you lift your arm in a gravitational field. I would say that you're using electromagnetism, as your brain uses electrical impulses to tell your arm to move, for which certain amount of energy in your body is used. Since the release of that energy would involve a chemical reaction, you could also be using weak/strong nuclear forces... but I could be way off.

The third one is easier. Average speed is total distance divided by total time, where as average velocity is total displacement by total time, and total displacement is less than or equal to total displacement. The only time it can be equal is if the object is traveling in a straight line, else displacement and distance covered will be different.

Your answer is appreciated, chaoseverlasting.

If you have an object traveling in a circular motion with constant speed, how do you figure out its instantaneous velocity at any point? (I don't think the radius is relevant since the direction changes constantly...) Is it equal to the inst. speed?

Last edited:
Helicobacter said:
If you have an object traveling in a circular motion with constant speed, how do you figure out its instantaneous velocity at any point? (I don't think the radius is relevant since the direction changes constantly...) Is it equal to the inst. speed?
The velocity is always tangent to the circle at any point. The magnitude of the velocity is the speed.

I was just wondering since the direction of the object's motion changes after every infinitesimal small point on the circle...So, the object's velocity will be equal to its speed?

EDIT: After thinking about it: is it correct to assume that velocity and speed will only be equal in circular and straight motion?
That would imply that a circle is a vector too...

Last edited:
Helicobacter said:
I was just wondering since the direction of the object's motion changes after every infinitesimal small point on the circle...
Exactly right. The velocity vector (with both magnitude and direction) continually changes direction so that it is always tangent to the circle. But its magnitude--the speed--remains constant.

EDIT: After thinking about it: is it correct to assume that velocity and speed will only be equal in circular and straight motion?
That would imply that a circle is a vector too...
I don't know what you mean. Velocity is a vector; speed is a scalar. The magnitude of the (instantaneous) velocity is the speed.

Note that the average velocity is quite different than the average speed for circular motion. Since the speed is always constant, the average speed equals the instantaneous speed. But velocity is always changing. Go back to the fundamental definition of average velocity: change in displacement over time. When an object completes a circular path, what's the change in its displacement?

Last edited:
The critical thing is that only if the tangent line to the path of motion changes, you will have fluctuating velocity.
In the case of a straight line of constant motion or my illustrated example of constant circular motion you will get constant velocity.
Are these statements correct?

Helicobacter said:
The critical thing is that only if the tangent line to the path of motion changes, you will have fluctuating velocity.
I'd state it this way: If the direction or speed changes, that means velocity is changing.
In the case of a straight line of constant motion or my illustrated example of constant circular motion you will get constant velocity.
Velocity is a vector quantity. If the direction of motion changes, like it does in uniform circular motion, then velocity is not constant.

So would it be 0 or undefined in circular motion (with constant speed)?

Helicobacter said:
So would it be 0 or undefined in circular motion (with constant speed)?
Assuming that you are referring to my earlier question:
Doc Al said:
Go back to the fundamental definition of average velocity: change in displacement over time. When an object completes a circular path, what's the change in its displacement?
If so, then the net displacement of an object that completes a circular path is zero--since it returns to where it started. And that means the average velocity over that path is zero. (But the average speed remains non-zero.)

I'm referring to instantaneous velocity. Assuming the speed remains constant in the circular motion, will the instantaneous velocity at any point be undefined or 0.
(Sorry for that I was vague.)

Helicobacter said:
I'm referring to instantaneous velocity. Assuming the speed remains constant in the circular motion, will the instantaneous velocity at any point be undefined or 0.
(Sorry for that I was vague.)
The instantaneous velocity of an object in uniform circular motion is perfectly well defined (it is certainly not zero!):
its magnitude equals the speed (magnitude doesn't change)
its direction depends on where it is along the path--it is always tangent to the path at any point (direction continually changes)​

Doc Al said:
The instantaneous velocity of an object in uniform circular motion is perfectly well defined (it is certainly not zero!):
Doc Al said:
If the direction of motion changes, like it does in uniform circular motion, then velocity is not constant.

According to these statements, the inst. velocity in a constant circular motion will be defined but fluctuating.

Last edited:
Helicobacter said:
According to these statements, the inst. velocity in a constant circular motion will be defined but fluctuating.
That is correct.

There has to be a pattern. Is it a trig function?

By the way: You are very helpful, Doc Al. Thanks for your assistance!

Helicobacter said:
There has to be a pattern. Is it a trig function?
How about this. Imagine that the object is traveling in a counterclockwise circle about some origin with constant speed v. Measure the position of the object by its angle with respect to the x-axis. Then, at any point, its velocity vector (in x and y coordinates) is given by:

[tex]\vec{v} = -v\sin\theta \hat{x} + v\cos\theta \hat{y}[/tex]

Does that help?

1. Why is the magnitude of velocity equal to speed?

This is because velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction. When we talk about the magnitude of velocity, we are referring to the speed at which an object is moving without taking into account its direction. Therefore, the magnitude of velocity is equal to speed.

2. Can velocity and speed be different?

Yes, velocity and speed can be different. While speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of motion, velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both magnitude and direction. For example, if a car is moving with a constant speed of 50 mph in a circular track, its velocity is constantly changing because its direction is changing.

3. Why is it important to understand the difference between velocity and speed?

It is important to understand the difference between velocity and speed because they have different physical meanings and applications. Velocity is used to describe the motion of an object in a specific direction, while speed is used to describe how fast an object is moving regardless of its direction. This distinction is crucial in areas such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

4. How is the magnitude of velocity calculated?

The magnitude of velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time taken to cover that displacement. In other words, it is the distance an object has traveled divided by the time it took to cover that distance. The result is a scalar quantity that represents the speed at which an object is moving.

5. Is velocity always constant?

No, velocity can change if there is a change in speed, direction, or both. An object can be moving at a constant speed but changing direction, resulting in a changing velocity. Similarly, an object can be moving at a changing speed but in a constant direction, also causing a change in velocity. The only time velocity is constant is when an object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line.