Why Is the Mass of a Wheel Concentrated on the Rim?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
saravananrame
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
A small confusion ! Why is most of the mass of the wheel concentrated on the rim ? I know that it is to increase the moment of inertia , but what is the practical use of doing so ?
Thanks in advance !
 
Physics news on Phys.org
saravananrame said:
A small confusion ! Why is most of the mass of the wheel concentrated on the rim ? I know that it is to increase the moment of inertia , but what is the practical use of doing so ?
Thanks in advance !

I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific here. What type of wheel are we talking about?
 
A normal vehicle ( car , bike ) wheel where mass is mostly concentrated on the outer edge ( outer rim ) . I guess the word rim suits here . I mean the outer curved circular thingy !
 
saravananrame said:
A small confusion ! Why is most of the mass of the wheel concentrated on the rim

To support the tire. Try mounting a bicycle tire on spokes..impossible.

I know that it is to increase the moment of inertia

No. that is an unwanted consequence. A high MoI means greater power is required for acceleration.

overall wheel weight has other negative consequences as it increases un-sprung mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

So generally you want to minimize the wheels weight and MoI.