Suggestion Why is the math output hard to read sometimes?

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    May I suggest improving the format of the math output in the forum.

Consider the following code:

[tex]
    \mathop\textnormal{Res}\limits_{z=-n}\left\{\frac{\pi}{x^s\sin(\pi s)}\right\}=(-x)^n,\quad n=0,-1,-2,\cdots
    [/tex]

The equal sign is not well displayed under the Res symbol and the "s" in sine is broken up. I've noticed other problems like this in general. I think PF would look more polished if the math output was nicer looking.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2
    If I recall correctly, it used to be better. I'm not sure when or why the change occurred.

4. Jun 1, 2009 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect the problem might be that the LaTeX renderer (which generates the equation images) may work on the assumption that the equations will be displayed on a white background. On a grey background, some of the pixels are too faint. Is it possible to tweak the LaTeX renderer to take account of the grey background?

5. Jun 2, 2009 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey all,

A year ago or so, something changed in the fonts included in the normal LaTeX distributions that come with most Linux distributions. Along with it were a number of other changes that broke PF's latex system. I rewrote some of it, but never really figured out the problem with the fonts.

I will look into it more. I don't actually think it has anything to do with anti-aliasing. The images are currently anti-aliased to white, and then white is dropped out as transparent. If the strokes look correct when anti-aliased to white, it seems that changing the surrounding white pixels to transparent would not affect them. It's worth a shot, though.

- Warren

6. Jun 2, 2009 #5

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For what it's worth, I took the PNG image in post #1, on its default white background, and decreased the brightness until its background matched this thread's grey background. I think the result (attached) is therefore what you'd get if anti-aliased to grey. Slightly more legible, I think, but still not great, and I guess that's down to a poor choice of font. Or something.

Attached Files:

7. Jun 4, 2009 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can the font be made bold, either in a default setting or when typed by the user (I never use LaTex, so don't know the ins and outs of this)? It just looks like the font is a bit thin and loses something, so if there's a way to make it bold, that might be enough to improve readability.

8. Jun 4, 2009 #7

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That wouldn't be a solution as such, because some equations use both bold and plain font, e.g.

[tex]\mathbf{z} = a\mathbf{x} + b\mathbf{y}[/tex]​

although personally I prefer

[tex]\textbf{z} = a\textbf{x} + b\textbf{y}[/tex]​

However, if you have a greater choice of font weights than just "plain" and "bold", then some slightly heavier fonts might help.

9. Jun 4, 2009 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, guys... I changed some of the antialiasing behavior in Ghostscript (I turned it down!), and I think the output looks a little better now. If you could, post some troublesome LaTeX here and see if it renders better now.

- Warren

10. Jun 4, 2009 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]

\mathop\textnormal{Res}\limits_{z=-n}\left\{\frac{\pi}{x^s\sin(\pi s)}\right\}=(-x)^n,\quad n=0,-1,-2,\cdots

[/tex]

11. Jun 4, 2009 #10

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\sum_{n=a}^bf(n)[/tex] has a very strong summation symbol.

Attached Files:

12. Jun 4, 2009 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is how it looked with the old antialiasing options:

[tex]
    \sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
    [/tex]

- Warren

13. Jun 4, 2009 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And now the new:

[tex]
    \sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
    [/tex]

It's really strange that antialiasing options could even cause this in the first place.....

- Warren

14. Jun 4, 2009 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And with no anti-aliasing at all:

[tex]
    \sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
    [/tex]

- Warren

15. Jun 4, 2009 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fooling around some more:

[tex]
    \sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
    [/tex]

16. Jun 4, 2009 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm...

[tex]
    \sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
    [/tex]

17. Jun 4, 2009 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try try again:

[tex]
    \sum_{n=a}^bf(n)
    [/tex]

18. Jun 4, 2009 #17

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]

[/tex]

19. Jun 4, 2009 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not really sure I've found a solution. I'll have to keep hunting.

[tex]

[/tex]

- Warren

20. Jun 4, 2009 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of those versions looked better...not perfect, but certainly better.

21. Jun 6, 2009 #20

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & \frac{u_x}{u} & \frac{u_y}{u}\\ 0 & -\frac{u_y}{u} & \frac{u_x}{u} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Hm, both the parentheses and the zeroes look better than they did here. They used to look like the pixel size was bigger in the LaTeX font. I'm not a big fan of the new [tex]\sum[/tex] though, and x and y are still just barely legible. Have you tried a slightly bigger font size?

It would also be nice if the \dot code would make a slightly bigger dot: [tex]\dot{\vec r}[/tex] (but I realize of course that you can't do anything that changes only that symbol).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?