Why is The University of Oregon too bad at ranking

In summary, the conversation discusses the ranking of the University of Oregon's graduate program in physics and the importance of considering other factors when choosing a graduate program, such as research groups and personal interests. It is emphasized that rankings should not be the primary factor in decision making, as they do not necessarily reflect the quality of a program. Instead, it is important to focus on finding a program and research group that align with one's interests and passions.
MHD93
I applied to UO for a PhD because after browsing their HEP staff webpages I was impressed because most of them had their PhD degree from top schools. But I then got surprised by their bad ranking. They aren't even mentioned in ARWU top 200 grad schools in physics. Even 300 top schools in physics of QS list don't include UOregon. I'm afraid by that. Is it a bad school? Why is that happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some students pay too much attention to rankings (this seems particularly true for students from Asia). A ranking of 54 means there are 53 schools ahead of it. It doesn't say anything about how far ahead, nor about an absolute scale.

"Faculty got their PhDs from high-ranked schools" does exactly the same thing. Dave Soper and Jim Brau are not well-known and well-respective because of where they got their PhDs but instead by what they did since.

Likes NathanaelNolk
Mohammad_93 said:
I applied to UO for a PhD because after browsing their HEP staff webpages I was impressed because most of them had their PhD degree from top schools. But I then got surprised by their bad ranking. They aren't even mentioned in ARWU top 200 grad schools in physics. Even 300 top schools in physics of QS list don't include UOregon. I'm afraid by that. Is it a bad school? Why is that happening?

I wouldn't take those rankings too seriously. I don't recall the details, but Harvard once got a very high ranking in a field in which they had no department.

It's also important to be aware of how rankings are arrived at. In some cases, the ranking may incorporate factors that are of little to no value to you as a student, while there may be other factors that are extremely important that are not incorporated in the process. The US News rankings, for example, are based on the results of surveys sent to academics.

So when you look up a ranking, look up how the numbers were arrived at.

Mohammad_93 said:

You're doing it wrong. Applying to graduate programs on the basis of who went to which school with which ranking is the fastest way to finding yourself in the wrong program. Why are you not looking into graduate programs with research groups that align with your interests? Finding a group of people who share your curiosity and passion is how you will be a successful graduate student. The title of a university and its ranking is irrelevant. You will get out of your education with what you put into it. You will be judged by the merit of your work, not the title of the university you went to and it's ranking.

1. Why is The University of Oregon ranked low compared to other universities?

There could be several reasons for this. One possible explanation is that The University of Oregon may not have as much funding or resources as other universities, which could affect their ability to attract top students and faculty. Additionally, the university may not have a strong reputation in certain academic fields, which can also impact its ranking.

2. How does The University of Oregon's ranking affect its students and alumni?

The university's ranking can potentially impact the value of a degree from the university for both current students and alumni. A lower ranking may make it more difficult for students to secure competitive job opportunities or be accepted into graduate programs. It could also affect the perception of the university on a resume for alumni.

3. Can The University of Oregon improve its ranking?

Yes, it is possible for the university to improve its ranking. This can be achieved through various efforts such as increasing funding for research and academic programs, recruiting top faculty and students, and improving the university's reputation in certain fields of study.

4. How important is a university's ranking in the overall academic experience?

A university's ranking is not the only factor that should be considered when choosing a school. While a higher ranking can signal academic excellence, there are many other factors that contribute to a fulfilling academic experience such as the quality of faculty, available resources, and campus culture.

5. Does The University of Oregon's ranking have an impact on its funding and budget?

The university's ranking can have an impact on its funding and budget to some extent. A higher ranking may attract more funding and resources, which can then be used to improve the university's programs and facilities. However, a lower ranking may also result in decreased funding and budget cuts, which can affect the overall quality of the university.