Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why MAC svcks

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Language alert - the F word is said twice during the video, so do not watch if this would upset you.

I may have to delete this if anyone thinks it's inappropriate.

[MEDIA=youtube]F3DCUXswung[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2
    Lol that is awesome....saved in my favorites now!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  4. Sep 19, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rolleyes: He obviously has no idea how to actually use a Mac, and must be working on some ancient operating system, because I haven't experienced anything like that since OS 9.x. Sure, Macs have quirks, but the stuff he's describing aren't any of them. It would have been funnier if he talked about those. I did laugh at the "cloverleaf" bit. :rofl: I have never known what to call that symbol. Fortunately, there's an apple on the same key, so I always call it the "apple key." Since he seems to be trying to compare Mac to PC though, his gripes about using the apple-option-esc combination are pretty funny considering it's not any harder than hitting ctrl-alt-del, except the apple-option-esc combination actually works unlike the PC that is beyond hope by the time you're trying ctrl-alt-del to unfreeze it.

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4

Mk

Everybody calls it the apple key. The symbol is officially the cloverleaf though because it is the Swedish symbol for "attractions."

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    Have you seen the one where E-machines told him to go F himself? :rofl: It's a classic.

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6

Mk

It is kind of funny that this guy seems to be an expert in Microsoft Windows and expects Mac OS 8.0 to be exactly the same.

He mentions that programs close without warning. That never happened to me. Maybe he is running and old system with not enough RAM?

He says that once you delete something on a mac, it is gone forever. Not true, just like in Microsoft, only the directory is removed. "If you know what you're doing you can go into DOS" and get the file back, on a Mac too. But just like on a PC, it is pretty much impossible to the average user. (Although the Apple's next operating system coming out in spring has the new integrated "Time Machine" that does this for you)

He talks about shutting down and losing files. With all the new Apple programs I believe this is circumvented by automatically saving a backup, as well as keeping a version somewhere invisble on backup for if you didn't get to save it, and it unexpectadly quits. This usually happens because of programming errors, but the program prompts you if you want to revert back to the unsaved version. (Also, with Time Machine, you don't even have to save)

He talks about shutting down the computer. I've had to do that once or twice, and you just press the button for three seconds. On the old iMacs, if you really had a problem (like he obviously had), you push a button in the back near the wires, and before that you would have poked something inside a little hole to turn it off.

The video is simply outdated.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  8. Sep 19, 2006 #7
    :rofl: great post!

9. Sep 19, 2006 #8
    Fact is, both Windows xp and Mac OS are both very very good now.

10. Sep 19, 2006 #9

Mk

I agree. They are both good.

But Mac OS X is better.

11. Sep 19, 2006 #10
    Ummm no, both have strengths and weaknesses.

12. Sep 19, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

That's so good that I suspect Apple of having produced it. Notice that he admitted that he had to create it on a Mac.

I'm still using 9.0, on a couple of G3's, with fewer instances of lockups such as he mentioned than I've experienced on W's PC or the one at work (Millenium and XP, respectively). My new laptop, which I should have within a couple of weeks, is a G3 iBook running Jaguar. The only problems that I anticipate involve trying to figure out how to use it.

13. Sep 19, 2006 #12
    My school recently switched most of its labs to MAC. Man, I have never seen such a sucky operating system UI.

14. Sep 19, 2006 #13

JamesU

Gold Member

I've had like every problem he's talked about...

THe macs I've used most were at Elementary school(OS 8.2) and Middle School(OS 9) I can never open more than 3 programs, and whenever I want to switch, I have to open some menu. Most of the time the computers froze in the middle of running a program and I had to switch computers...Whenever I tried to unplug a mouse or keyboard and plug it back in(or plug one in if the mac didn't already have one) It wouldn't work...

anyway, I've used OSX once and I like it, no more annoyances

15. Sep 19, 2006 #14
    I haven't used a mac since the old 5 inch black and white apples we used to have in the computer lab, but my friend just got a new Ibook and it looks awesome. I can't wait to try it out.

I know mac's are good now but it was still a hilarious video.

16. Sep 19, 2006 #15

ShawnD

Science Advisor

You use ctrl-alt-del to access the task manager. From there you manually end the process freezing your computer. It works almost every time, and has been this way since Windows 95.

I have experienced some things he mentioned, and some he didn't mention. There's always the annoying generic error message with a picture of a bomb where the only button is "Restart". That's the mac version of the blue screen. Then there's the error saying you have the wrong pallet any time you try to run basically anything. When it runs out of memory, the computer just freezes with a warning saying you've run out of memory. Does MacOS even have a pagefile? Sometimes I wonder.

17. Sep 19, 2006 #16
    That's almost as stupid as actual Mac ads.

18. Sep 19, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, no, I have a very special knack for freezing computers very thoroughly, no half-measure for me. If I get to that point, it needs to be shut down.

I haven't encountered any of those since...hmmm...a LONG time. Definitely not since OS X has been out. Oh, wait, I did get the mac version of the blue screen of death, on an old laptop (the black plastic ones) that had been used and abused by many people before me...a week later the motherboard fried, so it was more likely a warning of the more dire things to come. I've periodically had a program stop responding, but those have only been microsoft programs...I don't blame my poor mac for getting all itchy when I use those. :biggrin:

19. Sep 19, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, wait! I love the new Mac ads! My favorite is the one where PC is trying to hide from the spyware. :rofl:

20. Sep 19, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mac... Hah! Try to work in the real world with one of those. :biggrin:

21. Sep 19, 2006 #20
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?