1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why magnetic field deflects a charged particle.?

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    Hello.
    Sir My question is that:Why magnetic field deflects a charge particle or a charged particle experiences a force in a magnetic field?Ok
    In electric field between two parallel plates a +ve charge particle deflects towards -ve plate when it is thrown perpandicularly.
    But in magnetic field there is no any -ve or +ve plate then what thing in magnetic field deflects this charge?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2

rbj

fundamentally, the magnetic effect is the consequence of applying the effects of special relativity to the electrostatic field. there's a thought experiment, using two infinite, straight, and parallel lines of charge, that shows this equivalence, at least in this special case (so it's not a proof of the general case). instead of repeating myself, i have a post somewhere else that explains that special case to take a look at.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook