Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why magnetic field deflects a charged particle.?

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    Sir My question is that:Why magnetic field deflects a charge particle or a charged particle experiences a force in a magnetic field?Ok
    In electric field between two parallel plates a +ve charge particle deflects towards -ve plate when it is thrown perpandicularly.
    But in magnetic field there is no any -ve or +ve plate then what thing in magnetic field deflects this charge?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2

fundamentally, the magnetic effect is the consequence of applying the effects of special relativity to the electrostatic field. there's a thought experiment, using two infinite, straight, and parallel lines of charge, that shows this equivalence, at least in this special case (so it's not a proof of the general case). instead of repeating myself, i have a post somewhere else that explains that special case to take a look at.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?