Why most TV programs are so fake?

• News
  • Thread starter Grands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary,TV series and movies are often fake, and can be enjoyable only if you ignore the fact that they are fake.
Grands
I start to believe that 90% of what's in the TV it's fake.
Honest to be this made me very sad, because there were some interesting Tv series, but when you realize they are fake you find out that you don't want to look at them no more.

Can I give an example ?
Does anyone know the TV show Pawn Shop?
Well...I found that the things that are sold in the tv by customer are already property of the shop and customers are just actors...
A part of pawn stars had problems with the law.

The same happened with the Tv series Undercover boss...I can't believe people waste time to watch something it's fake.

Why those companies make something fake?
Can't they just make tv series and don't lie to the viewers ?

I'm so upset I discovered this.

What your opinion about?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your standards for TV may be too high.
I am not familiar with Pawn Shop, but I wouldn't call "Undercover Boss" fake. Staged: yes. Fake: no.
Here's an excerpt from http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/undercover-boss-fake-136336
"The show is very real," wrote Megan Carolina during a reddit AMA. She appeared on the Retro Fitness episode in 2013. "I had no script. The only thing they told me was show him how you work here and share a life-changing event."

However, employees who have been featured on the show all say they were carefully vetted by producers and not chosen by random. They also had to submit an application and attend several interviews before being selected for the show.

I have also noted that the occurrences of bosses being outed on that show has increased as its popularity has increased.

Have you tried Survivor. It's not fake, but they tape more than 200 hours of video for a 1-hour episode. The real story making happens during the edit process.

Last edited:
Likes davenn and russ_watters
One other tidbit.
Within the industry, shows such as Undercover Boss and Survivor are not called "reality shows", but rather "unscripted".

Likes berkeman
.Scott said:
Staged: yes, Fake, no.
It's not 100% fake, like a movie, but the employers already know, the money the boss give them are true.
The strange fact is that they don't recognize their boss or they don't have any suspect even thought this is a popular TV show.
How can you be hired and don't know who your boss is or how he looks ?

Grands said:
How can you be hired and don't know who your boss is or how he looks ?

Depends on the company size. "Your boss" can be several management levels away.

Likes davenn
Borek said:
Depends on the company size. "Your boss" can be several management levels away.
And several states away.

Likes davenn and WWGD
Grands said:
Honest to be this made me very sad, because there were some interesting Tv series, but when you realize they are fake you find out that you don't want to look at them no more.
What your opinion about?

Thanks.
Much of TV is about escapism, i.e., taking a break from the sometimes dull daily grind. If you want reality there are channels that have documentaries. Check out, e.g., TLC, Discovery, History channels. Many people are bored with their lives and do not want to be reminded of them when they watch TV.

russ_watters said:
And several states away.
Countries/Continents and, if Elon Musk succeeds, maybe planets away.

Likes BillTre and russ_watters
WWGD said:
History
On history there is Pawn Shop., that is fake.

Grands said:
On history there is Pawn Shop., that is fake.

Well, this can get technical. They cannot keep a camera on 24/7; they do have to edit and make choices of what they present to the public. How do you then separate what is fake from what is not? These are actual Pawn Shops with real clients coming in. Are you saying that the clients are just actors? I don't understand how you separate fake from not fake.

Likes Grands
Grands said:
On history there is Pawn Shop
It's called "Pawn Stars." I've seen it a few times, but haven't watched it recently. So what if the items being pawned already belong to the pawn shop owner (Rick, I believe). As already mentioned, the producers of the show can't just leave a camera crew in place, waiting for an unusual customer to come in. It's possible that if an episode has someone coming into pawn or sell a cavalry sword that belonged to some famous general, maybe that situation actually happened, but they're restaging it. So what?

Likes Grands
WWGD said:
Countries/Continents and, if Elon Musk succeeds, maybe planets away.
In my case, it is a continent away. But if a tall guy with a stringy wig and a heavy Swedish accent showed up at our New England plant ... hmmm ... well, I suppose he could be mistaken for a summer intern.
But really - with an entourage of camera's, he might have to make a list of everyone who didn't recognize him. After all, he didn't hire us for being clueless.

.Scott said:
In my case, it is a continent away. But if a tall guy with a stringy wig and a heavy Swedish accent showed up at our New England plant ... hmmm ... well, I suppose he could be mistaken for a summer intern.
But really - with an entourage of camera's, he might have to make a list of everyone who didn't recognize him. After all, he didn't hire us for being clueless.
IKEA??

WWGD said:
IKEA??
Autoliv! I do car radars.

Likes WWGD
Grands said:
Seriously? Jeez, next you'll be telling me that the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause aren't real. I just can't believe it.

Grands, the POINT of TV is to sell soap / cars / etc, not to tell the truth.

Likes davenn, BillTre, Grands and 2 others
phinds said:
Seriously? Jeez, next you'll be telling me that the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause aren't real. I just can't believe it.

Grands, the POINT of TV is to sell soap / cars / etc, not to tell the truth.
The problem is that they are called reality show, and not fake show.
When I look for an apple's product I expect to don't buy a samsung.

Mark44 said:
As already mentioned, the producers of the show can't just leave a camera crew in place, waiting for an unusual customer to come in. It's possible that if an episode has someone coming into pawn or sell a cavalry sword that belonged to some famous general, maybe that situation actually happened, but they're restaging it. So what?
I get it, and I understand why, but the point is, if you can make that kind of reality show for real, why you should stage it, just don't do it, or tell the people they are watching something that is make twice.

If they stage, they can show what happened with the real customer, but who tells you that they do not make the scene more "interesting" by adding something that didn't happened.

Last edited:
You do understand they: 1. have limited resources, 2. have to produce what people want to see?

Borek said:
You do understand they: 1. have limited resources, 2. have to produce what people want to see?
3. Most people want to know what artists,actors are doing and not get to the bottom of things.

Grands said:
The problem is that they are called reality show, and not fake show.
And you are being incredibly naive in taking that as the truth.

Twenty posts about fake TV... ??Damn it... . :oops:
OCR said:
Twenty Twenty one posts about fake TV... ??
Lol...

Likes davenn
WWGD said:
3. Most people want to know what artists,actors are doing and not get to the bottom of things.
4. Compared to lots of other shows, "reality" shows are cheap to make. Networks are in business to make money.

Likes WWGD
OCR said:
Twenty posts about fake TV... ??

Damn it... . :oops:

Lol...

sux, huh and I struggle to get 5 posts about an awesome deep space object that I imaged
something that IS REAL LOLohhhh well

D

Likes OCR
OCR said:
Twenty posts about fake TV... ??
What is this TV you speak of ? o_O

Likes OCR
I think we're done here.
Thread closed.

Likes davenn and Bystander

1. Why do TV programs seem to always have overly dramatic storylines and conflicts?

TV programs often rely on sensationalism to grab viewers' attention and keep them engaged. This means that real-life events and situations are often exaggerated or fabricated to make them more dramatic and entertaining.

2. Is there any truth to reality TV shows?

While reality TV shows may claim to be unscripted and authentic, they are often heavily edited and manipulated to create more drama and conflict. Additionally, many reality TV shows use casting and scripting to create specific storylines and characters.

3. Why are there so many repeated plots and character archetypes in TV programs?

TV networks and producers often rely on familiar and successful formulas to create new programs. This can lead to repetitive plots and characters, as they have been proven to attract viewers in the past.

4. How do TV programs impact our perception of reality?

TV programs can influence our perception of reality by presenting a distorted and exaggerated version of real-life events and situations. This can create false expectations and perceptions of how things should be in the real world.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for the authenticity of TV programs?

While TV networks are expected to adhere to certain ethical and legal guidelines, there are no specific regulations for the authenticity of TV programs. This means that producers are free to use creative license and manipulate events and situations to create more compelling content.