Why must an isomorphism between 2Z and 3Z result in mu(2) = +/- 3?

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary: If ##R## contains an isomorphism to the domain, we can find a non-trivial isomorphism, eg if ##R## is the integers...
Mr Davis 97
My book is trying to show that the rngs ##2 \mathbb{Z}## and ##3 \mathbb{Z}## are not isomorphic. It starts by saying that if there were an isomorphism ##\mu : 2 \mathbb{Z} \to 3 \mathbb{Z}## then by group theory we would know that ##\mu (2) = \pm 3##. It then goes on to show that this leads to a contradiction. My question has to do with why it must be true, if we assume ##\mu## is an isomorphism, that ##\mu (2) = \pm 3##

Physics news on Phys.org
##2\mathbb Z## contains exactly two elements that can generate the ring on their own. Those elements are 2 and -2.
##3\mathbb Z## contains exactly two elements that can generate the ring on their own. Those elements are 3 and -3.
Since the property of being able to generate the ring on its own is a ring property, it must be preserved by any ring isomorphism. Hence any ring isomorphism must map 2 to either 3 or -3 and must map -2 to the other one.

andrewkirk said:
##2\mathbb Z## contains exactly two elements that can generate the ring on their own. Those elements are 2 and -2.
##3\mathbb Z## contains exactly two elements that can generate the ring on their own. Those elements are 3 and -3.
Since the property of being able to generate the ring on its own is a ring property, it must be preserved by any ring isomorphism. Hence any ring isomorphism must map 2 to either 3 or -3 and must map -2 to the other one.
Okay, that makes sense. You need to preserve the structural properties.

To make the problem more general, how would you count how many homomorphisms there are, and not necessarily isomorphisms? I'm assuming that it might still involve the fact that ##2 \mathbb{Z}## is cyclic.

Mr Davis 97 said:
how would you count how many homomorphisms there are, and not necessarily isomorphisms? I'm assuming that it might still involve the fact that ##2 \mathbb{Z}## is cyclic.
There are no ring homomorphisms between the two. The proof that there are no ring isomorphisms does not use bijectivity and hence applies equally well to ring homomorphisms.

There will be group homomorphisms between the two sets as abelian groups, but no ring homomorphisms.

In general, if you want to count homomorphisms, look at how many generators there are, and how many different ways they can be mapped while preserving the algebraic structure.

andrewkirk said:
There are no ring homomorphisms between the two. The proof that there are no ring isomorphisms does not use bijectivity and hence applies equally well to ring homomorphisms.

There will be group homomorphisms between the two sets as abelian groups, but no ring homomorphisms.

In general, if you want to count homomorphisms, look at how many generators there are, and how many different ways they can be mapped while preserving the algebraic structure.
What if we make the distinction between rings with unity and rings without unity? Would homomorphisms exist for the latter but not the former?

I don't understand the scope of your question. Some pairs of rings can be connected by homorphisms and others cannot.

If we restrict ourselves to isomorphisms, IIRC all cyclic, unital rings of a given order are isomorphic. That is not the case for non-unital rings, as this example demonstrates.

andrewkirk said:
I don't understand the scope of your question. Some pairs of rings can be connected by homorphisms and others cannot.

If we restrict ourselves to isomorphisms, IIRC all cyclic, unital rings of a given order are isomorphic. That is not the case for non-unital rings, as this example demonstrates.
Actually, scratch that. I was confused.

Could you walk me through application of the statement: "In general, if you want to count homomorphisms, look at how many generators there are, and how many different ways they can be mapped while preserving the algebraic structure"?

In this case, we know that ##2 \mathbb{Z}## has two generators, ##-2## and ##2##. How do we determine how a homomorphism ##\mu## could map these while maintaining the algebraic structure? I don't see how in this case we use the facts ##\mu (a+b) = \mu (a) + \mu (b)## and ##\mu (ab) = \mu(a) \mu(b)##

Say we want to find a homomorphism ##f## from ##2\mathbb Z## to some cyclic ring ##R## which is generated by ##r##. Since 2 generates ##2\mathbb Z##, ##f(2)## must generate ##Im\ R##. To find ##f(k)## for ##k\in 2\mathbb Z## we use the linearity rules to observe that ##f(k)=f\left(\sum_{j=1}^{k/2}2\right)=\sum_{j=1}^{k/2} f(2)##, which is the image of 2 added to itself ##k/2## times. Thus, knowing the action of ##f## on ##2## tells us the action of ##f## on any other element of the domain.

More generally, if the domain is any cyclic ring, we need only determine the action of the candidate homomorphism on a generator of the domain, in order to determine the entire map.

If ##R## contains an isomorphic copy of the domain, we can find a non-trivial isomorphism, eg if ##R## is the integers or Gaussian Integers. But otherwise it may not be possible, so that the only homomorphism is the trivial one that maps everything to zero. The example given is of that kind. It is the distributive law that creates the constraints.

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a concept in mathematics that refers to a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures or objects. In simpler terms, it means that two objects have the same structure or shape, even if they may look different.

2. What is 2Z and 3Z?

2Z and 3Z are mathematical sets that contain all the even integers and all the multiples of 3, respectively. For example, 2Z would include numbers like -4, 0, 8, while 3Z would include numbers like -9, 0, 12.

3. How can 2Z and 3Z be isomorphic?

2Z and 3Z can be considered isomorphic because they have the same structure and can be mapped onto each other in a one-to-one manner. This means that for every even integer in 2Z, there is a corresponding multiple of 3 in 3Z and vice versa.

4. What are some examples of isomorphism between 2Z and 3Z?

One example of isomorphism between 2Z and 3Z is the function f(x) = 3x. This function maps every even integer x in 2Z to a multiple of 3 in 3Z, and vice versa. Another example is the function g(x) = 2x, which maps every multiple of 3 x in 3Z to an even integer in 2Z.

5. Why is the isomorphism between 2Z and 3Z important?

The isomorphism between 2Z and 3Z is important because it allows us to better understand and compare these two sets. It also helps us see the connections and relationships between different mathematical structures and can be applied to solve various problems in mathematics and other fields of science.