Why operating pressure is different for propane and butane

In summary, the conversation discusses the interchangeability of propane and butane as fuels for gas-burning appliances. It is mentioned that butane has a higher calorific value, but is regulated to a lower pressure than propane. The reason for this is uncertain, with some speculating it may be due to the boiling point at storage temperatures. It is also noted that in the US, appliances are not interchangeable between natural gas and propane.
Jehannum
TL;DR Summary
In UK LPG installations, propane is regulated to 37 mbar and butane to 28 mbar. Is my guess at the reason for this correct or is it just a coincidence?
It's desirable that propane and butane be interchangeable as fuels in gas-burning appliances. However, butane has a higher calorific value. If used at the same pressure as propane it would give a higher heat output.

My guess was that the reason propane is set to a higher pressure is to offset its lower calorific value (CV).

Numerically, if you multiply 28 mbar by the ratio of CVs of butane to propane (122 / 93) you get (near enough) 37 mbar.

This made sense at first but I later realized that these are gauge pressures. I might expect this simple ratio relationship to work on absolute pressures but not gauge pressures. So now I'm thinking it's just a coincidence.

I train people on this stuff, so I need to get it right. I would appreciate any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
My guess is it is a function of boiling point, not heating value. If the boiling point at the storage temperature is too high, it won't boil [fast enough].

In the US, appliances are not interchangeable between natural gas and propane; they need different valve orifices and air mixtures. But I don't know about butane.

Jehannum said:
Summary:: In UK LPG installations, propane is regulated to 37 mbar and butane to 28 mbar. Is my guess at the reason for this correct or is it just a coincidence?

This made sense at first but I later realized that these are gauge pressures. I might expect this simple ratio relationship to work on absolute pressures but not gauge pressures. So now I'm thinking it's just a coincidence.
Isn't the flow rate determined by the pressure differential? Seems to me that it should be gauge pressure.

1. Why do propane and butane have different operating pressures?

Propane and butane have different operating pressures because they have different boiling points. Propane has a boiling point of -42.1°C while butane has a boiling point of -0.5°C. This means that propane is a gas at lower temperatures and requires a higher pressure to keep it in a liquid state compared to butane.

2. Can propane and butane be used interchangeably?

No, propane and butane cannot be used interchangeably. They have different operating pressures and boiling points, which means they have different physical properties. This also means that they have different energy outputs and may require different equipment for use.

3. What are the safety concerns when using propane and butane?

Both propane and butane are highly flammable gases, so safety precautions must be taken when handling and using them. It is important to store them properly in well-ventilated areas, away from heat sources and open flames. It is also essential to use them with the appropriate equipment and follow safety guidelines.

4. Why is propane more commonly used for outdoor grills?

Propane is more commonly used for outdoor grills because it is more efficient at higher pressures and temperatures. It also has a higher energy output compared to butane, making it ideal for outdoor cooking. Additionally, propane is more readily available and easier to transport in tanks.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with using propane and butane?

Both propane and butane are considered clean-burning fuels, meaning they produce fewer emissions compared to other fossil fuels. However, they are still non-renewable resources and contribute to carbon emissions. It is important to use them responsibly and consider alternative energy sources when possible.