Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why shear stress components of the Stress Energy tensor not zero?

1. May 10, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I am having trouble understanding why Tij can be non-zero for i≠j. Tij is the flux of the i-th component of momentum across a surface of constant xj. Isn't the i-th component of momentum tangent to the surface of constant xj and therefore its flux across that surface zero? What am I missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2014 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The principle axis theorem says that there are some basis vectors for which ##T^{ij}## is diagonal and hence ##T^{ij}## zero for i ##\neq## j, but the basis vectors are not necessarily aligned with the principle axes and thus in general the off-diagonal entries can be nonzero. Consider the analogous case of the 3x3 Newtonian moment of inertia tensor, for instance.

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    I don't understand your answer, pervect. Why would we express the components of four-momentum in a basis vectors not aligned with the coordinates that define the surfaces of constant xi??? I have not been able to find a word of warning to that effect in any text...

5. May 11, 2014 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

No, you have it slightly backwards! Tij is the i-th component of the flux of the momentum across the surface of constant xj. The momentum flux across the surface is a vector that can point in any direction. Tij is its i-th component, and there is no reason for it to be zero.

6. May 11, 2014 #5
    OMG! I get it now. Thank you very much!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook