Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why String theory has so many dimensions

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    I am no expert in the string theory, but I was curious why it has so many dimensions. After thinking about it, I think I know why. It has to do with the assumption of 2-D strings. This can be understood with an analogy. We can make any color using combinations of red, blue and yellow. If we plot these three on a graph we can express all the colors on one piece of paper. If instead we assume 2-D, instead of 3-D, or only use two colors at a time, we will need three plots for the three possible two-color combinations. We will also need another plot for white and neutral gray, since these can not be made with two primary colors. Then there are the tan-grays, blue-grays, red-grays, etc., each needing their own plot. The result is an escalation in the number of dimensions. Could all the extra dimensions be a mathematical necessity due to the 2-D assumption. Based on this analogy, if strings were made more 3-D, like the single string filament that is wound inside a golfball, the result should theoretically decrease needed dimensions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Uh well... pick up a book on the subject. It'll explain a lot.

Or Wiki Calabi-Yau manifolds. There's 5 dimensions right there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?