Discover the Benefits of LaTeX for Advanced Math Formatting

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: Another one I just downloaded, haven't got the name, something like "effx" easy as, very pretty formatting and does awesome graphing and calculus.Takes a stupid person 30 seconds to do awesome undergraduate calculus on it. maths typesetting softwareMathType can accept small ##\LaTeX## statements as input and exported-output.(If I write in Word, I mainly write MathType input in ##\LaTeX## and rarely use the GUI.)##\LaTeX## is a widely-accepted plain-text open format (unlike a non-human-readable proprietary format).Lots of mathematical software exports to ##\LaTeX## format
houlahound
The math formatting software.

I get if you want to publish and that's what publisher expects but for non published work I see guys here use it.

Simple editers do the job well enough so why learn the equivalent of a new programming language?

Physics news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
Simple editers do the job well enough so why learn the equivalent of a new programming language?
What simple editors? The only one I know of is the equation editor in Microsoft Word, which is riddled with bugs and very inefficient.

If all that's needed are special in-line symbols then word-processing programs with autocomplete can do the job. So for instance, when working in symbolic logic one can sometimes get by with just that. But if one wants to typeset an integral, a matrix or a complicated fraction, a proper typesetting program is needed, of which latex is the lingua franca and readily available.

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/

Another one I just downloaded, haven't got the name, something like "effx" easy as, very pretty formatting and does awesome graphing and calculus.

Takes a stupid person 30 seconds to do awesome undergraduate calculus on it.

Last edited:
Cross referencing was horribly implemented for equations the last time I used word.

Doing changes to an entire document is hard, style changes etc.

You can make figures directly in latex by gnuplot (by tixz) , paste code directly from a document.

houlahound said:
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/

Another one I just downloaded, haven't got the name, something like "effx" easy as, very pretty formatting and does awesome graphing and calculus.

Takes a stupid person 30 seconds to do awesome undergraduate calculus on it.

Yeah, and it costs money. LaTeX is free.

LaTeX is very easy to learn. It's been the standard for mathematics for years. I really like it a lot. I see no reason at all to change.

MathType can accept small ##\LaTeX## statements as input and exported-output.
(If I write in Word, I mainly write MathType input in ##\LaTeX## and rarely use the GUI.)

##\LaTeX## is a widely-accepted plain-text open format (unlike a non-human-readable proprietary format).
Lots of mathematical software exports to ##\LaTeX## format.

Of course, ##\LaTeX## is more than merely typesetting mathematical expressions.
It is a whole system for preparing possibly-large documents, mathematical or otherwise.

robphy said:
If I write in Word, I mainly write MathType input in ##\LaTeX## and rarely use the GUI.
When you do that, are the equations you enter visible to document-level search and replace? One of the serious problems with the MS Word Equation editor is that the contents of its equations do not have that capability. So if one has a ten page document containing many equations, and then realizes that one needs to rename all \alpha variables as \beta, the only option is to manually search for every one and replace it by typing over it.

Does using MathType as an add-in to Word get around that problem?

houlahound said:
The math formatting software.

I get if you want to publish and that's what publisher expects but for non published work I see guys here use it.

One might also ask why some people prefer command-line interfaces to point-and-click user interfaces. The reason is that for a skilled user they allow work to be done far more efficiently than with GUI tools and any operation can quickly be executed with just a line or two of code. You can type faster than you can click.

The other reason is that there are so many different symbols in math and so many different ways to arrange them that it would become incredibly tedious to do all of that with drop-down menus.

Also, you get to use that gorgeous Computer Modern font.

andrewkirk said:
When you do that, are the equations you enter visible to document-level search and replace? One of the serious problems with the MS Word Equation editor is that the contents of its equations do not have that capability. So if one has a ten page document containing many equations, and then realizes that one needs to rename all \alpha variables as \beta, the only option is to manually search for every one and replace it by typing over it.

Does using MathType as an add-in to Word get around that problem?

MS-Word's search didn't work for me (on Word 2003 with MathType 6.9).
Possibly useful: http://superuser.com/questions/915643/find-and-replace-in-mathtype-equations

When I use MS Word with MathType, I only compose short documents.
For larger documents, I would use ##\LaTeX## (using MiKTeX).

I've basically transitioned to using LaTeX for nearly everything now; cover letters, articles, resume/cv, publication list, presentations

To be honest I feel like its more portable than doing things in Word or Powerpoint, its easier to change things, styles etc. once you know all of the packages. And custom macros and definitions saves a LOT of time when writing articles or longer papers/statements. I guess I prefer to be a master of ONE document editor rather than be OK at a few.

It's tough to get started, but if you know even the basics of programming the macros and package usage becomes easy very quickly.

Likes micromass
A lot of it has been said, I might add automation.
Suppose you need to send 100 letters and want to use the recipients name inside said text.
Add in that you want to use a windowed envelope to avoid writing or printing on them.

It's reasonably simple to write a script that takes a base latex file and replaces a placeholder with the appropriate information, compile and prints.
That way you can get simplify your work a lot.

Also references, citations and overall beauty.
Latex is also modular by nature meaning you can simplify working on big (Huge) documents.

Likes micromass
CfSwf.jpg

Likes e.bar.goum, jack476 and JorisL

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in fields like mathematics, physics, and computer science. It allows for precise formatting and typesetting of complex mathematical equations and symbols.

2. How is LaTeX different from other word processors?

Unlike traditional word processors, LaTeX is based on a markup language rather than a visual interface. This allows for more precise control over formatting and makes it easier to create complex equations and formulas. It also produces documents with a consistent and professional look.

3. What are the benefits of using LaTeX for advanced math formatting?

LaTeX is designed specifically for typesetting complex equations and symbols, making it the go-to choice for mathematicians, scientists, and researchers. It also has a wide range of pre-defined templates and styles, making it easier to create professional-looking documents.

4. Is LaTeX difficult to learn and use?

LaTeX has a steep learning curve compared to traditional word processors, as it requires knowledge of the markup language. However, once you become familiar with the syntax, it becomes a powerful tool for creating complex mathematical documents. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help with the learning process.

5. Can LaTeX be used for other types of documents besides math?

While LaTeX is primarily used for mathematical documents, it can also be used for other types of documents such as scientific papers, technical reports, and even books. It offers a wide range of features for formatting text, graphics, and tables, making it a versatile tool for various types of written material.