Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why was the forum sold to the Church of Scientology?

1. Apr 1, 2006 #1
    WTF? I don't get it! Why did the own sell a scientific forum to a religion founded on science fiction mythology? Why why why? It just doesn't make any sense!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because they made the best offer, and all the Mentors agreed that it was in the best interest of PF if we want to keep it alive. They promised that they will not interfere with the content.

Zz.

4. Apr 1, 2006 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I heard the Baptists' offer was way too low.

5. Apr 1, 2006 #4

danago

Gold Member

i read the article and found it quite strange in some way. Maybe an april fools joke lol? i dunno...

Im really new to the forums so i dont know much about it yet, so i cant really give a proper reasoning why i think it would be sold.

6. Apr 1, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For people who may have missed the article, it was announced here:

CNN.COM

Most members here are aware that Greg had to move PF to a cheaper server, and that this server has been giving us a lot of problems lately as evidenced by the frequent outtage. I suppose it is safe to say that all these cost cutting measures were a reflection of the financial straits that PF was in. We were getting to a point of having to completely shut down.

So this offer was extremely timely and allows PF to run... well... probably till eternity.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006
  7. Apr 1, 2006 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Err, this has to be an April Fools Joke, right? :uhh:
    As far as I notice, the article is hosted by physicsforums, instead of cnn. :tongue:, and none of the media files shown there works. :tongue2:

8. Apr 1, 2006 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Maybe Greg copied only the html page without all the links and hosted it here.

Zz.

9. Apr 1, 2006 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

shhhh... let's prtend we don't know!:wink:
    (good 1, Greg!)

10. Apr 1, 2006 #9
    Is greg anc chroot is stil going to be the Adim or is tom cruise going to replace them.:wink:

11. Apr 1, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that God told him to, in a dream. Then he told Greg to take the money and hide out in Mexico.

12. Apr 1, 2006 #11

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what are you other Mentors doing with your cut? I booked tickets to Bermuda this morning. I leave in 2 weeks! :approve:

[​IMG]

13. Apr 1, 2006 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm going to move to Orlando and work as a Disney cast member for minimum wage.

Zz.

14. Apr 1, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm moving to Canada and opening a wax museum.

15. Apr 1, 2006 #14
    This is a great opportunity for Greg to meet some big celebs. I know I would have done the same thing. Now we can look forward to great discussions with movie stars about physics... accuracy will abound!

Thank you Greg, you've made a wise choice. Now the aliens might not freeze you and send you into space then bring you back and unthaw you so you can do whatever the ++++ that scientology religion thinks will happen.

I just hope that Greg has a chance to meet with Chef or Issac Hayes from South Park and put together some great songs, too.

:bugeye:

16. Apr 1, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't decided yet...can I go with you to Bermuda? That sounds like a good choice. :approve: I think I'll get a yacht and sail up to FL once in a while to see Zz at Disney too.

17. Apr 1, 2006 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Money won't change me.

18. Apr 1, 2006 #17

That's good cause Canada is made of wax.

19. Apr 1, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, so you haven't decided yet either?

20. Apr 1, 2006 #19
    All is not lost!
    I’m convinced if we show some support like just click though on a few of the Associates Links on the bottom of the page we can see this thing turned around,
    Maybe by the beginning of next week.

21. Apr 1, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If we had more contributors, maybe Greg could afford a hosting service that wasn't down half the day without having to deal with the Scientologists. All is not lost yet!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?