Why wave with lower frequency produce heat?

In summary, waves with lower frequency produce heat because they have longer wavelengths and therefore carry less energy. This energy is then absorbed by objects and converted into heat, whereas higher frequency waves, such as infrared and ultraviolet, have shorter wavelengths and more energy, making it easier for them to penetrate and pass through objects without being absorbed. This is why fluorescent materials can detect radiation just outside the violet end of the visible spectrum, but blackened thermometers cannot.
Clara Chung
why wave with lower frequency produce heat? please explain to me

Science news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:
why wave with lower frequency produce heat? please explain to me

that's not necessarily true, consider a microwave oven or even higher frequency, infrared radiation
so please elaborate on what specifically you are referring to ?

Dave

davenn said:
that's not necessarily true, consider a microwave oven or even higher frequency, infrared radiation
so please elaborate on what specifically you are referring to ?

Dave
In my book, it says we can use a blackened thermometer to detect the radiation just outside the red end of the visible spectrum. I don't understand why only fluorescent materials can detect radiation just outside the violet end of the visible spectrum but not blackened thermometer just like the waves with lower frequency. i.e. why won't the energy in higher frequency waves releases as heat

Clara Chung said:
In my book, it says we can use a blackened thermometer to detect the radiation just outside the red end of the visible spectrum. I don't understand why only fluorescent materials can detect radiation just outside the violet end of the visible spectrum but not blackened thermometer just like the waves with lower frequency. i.e. why won't the energy in higher frequency waves releases as heat
You can use a blackened thermometer to detect ultraviolet radiation too. A blackbody absorbs all incoming radiation, regardless of wavelength and then emits blackbody radiation characteristic of its temperature.

A blackened thermometer won't distinguish between infrared or ultraviolet.

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung

1. Why do waves with lower frequency produce heat?

Lower frequency waves produce heat because they carry less energy compared to waves with higher frequency. This means that when lower frequency waves interact with matter, they are more likely to be absorbed and converted into heat energy.

2. How does the frequency of a wave affect its ability to produce heat?

The frequency of a wave directly affects its ability to produce heat. Waves with higher frequency carry more energy, making them more effective at causing molecules to vibrate and generate heat. Lower frequency waves have less energy and therefore produce less heat.

3. Is there a specific frequency range that is most effective at producing heat?

The frequency range that is most effective at producing heat depends on the material being heated. Different materials have different absorption properties, meaning they are more likely to absorb waves of certain frequencies. For example, microwaves with a frequency of 2.45 GHz are most effective at heating water molecules, while infrared waves are better at heating objects like plastic and glass.

4. Can waves with lower frequency still produce heat in all materials?

Yes, waves with lower frequency can still produce heat in all materials, but the amount of heat produced may vary. As mentioned before, different materials have different absorption properties, so some may be more effective at absorbing lower frequency waves than others.

5. Can waves with lower frequency produce heat in a vacuum?

Yes, waves with lower frequency can still produce heat in a vacuum. This is because heat is generated when the energy from the wave is absorbed by the material, not by the presence of air or other particles. However, the effectiveness of lower frequency waves to produce heat in a vacuum may be lower compared to waves with higher frequency, as they have less energy to be absorbed by the material.