Why we call 'Passive' sign convention?

In summary: I have no idea why it's called a passive convention. why not call it source sign convention? why not label electrons positive? that's why i say i don't understand the question. conventions are conventions, and are chosen at convenience. some choices really don't matter, as long as we all agree on the definitions.
coolpursuit
Hello, It's my first time login.

I'm not good at english.

Of course, I'm not native speaker.

I wonder why we call 'passve' sign convention.

have a good day. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had never heard of passive and active sign convention before reading this. Now I've learned something new, thanks to you both!

berkeman said:
I googled "passive sign convention" and got some good hits. This is the first hit on the list, and explains it pretty well.

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Passive_sign_convention

ugh, i don't like that link at all. :uhh:

Example 1.2

Figure 1.6: Example 1.2

Figure 1.6 shows a simple resistor with the following parameters:
VR = − 6Volts , IR = 3A
Find PTotal and Determine if this resistor is supplying power or dissipating it.

Solution:

\begin{matrix}\ P_{Total}&=&V_R \times I_R \\ \ \\ \ &=& -6V \times 3A \\ \ \\ \ & = & -18Watts \end{matrix}.

Since power is negative this resistor is supplying power.

this is a recipe for failure.

Can we simply say:

With passive sign convention, a positive current flows from the + terminal to the - terminal inside the device (examples: resistors, capacitors, inductors)

and for active sign convention, it's the other way around (examples: battery cells and other power supplies)

?

Welcome to PF!

Yes, but nobody's answered the original question, which was, why passive? :cry:
coolpursuit said:
I wonder why we call 'passive' sign convention.

oh, and hello coolpursuit! :smile:

Welcome to PF!

Proton - one thing to note about Wikipedia - what one person views at 1000 may not be what you see at 2300. Wikipedia is not the most reliable source for a variety of reasons.

tiny-tim said:
Yes, but nobody's answered the original question, which was, why passive? :cry:

i'm not exactly sure i understand the question. passive components are passive no matter which current convention you choose, but...

i believe the important thing is that current into sinks (passives) is opposite the direction for current into a source. for example, you could choose to use electron current instead of conventional current and the current would change sign in both sinks and sources, but current would still be in the same direction as voltage for one, and opposing for the other.

much of this goes back to the physics of the problem. if you draw a simple circuit with one voltage source and one resistor, the first thing you may notice is that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws#Kirchhoff.27s_Voltage_Law_.28KVL.29" will ensure that current is in phase with one voltage, and out of phase with the other.

and in a more general sense, you can extend this type of network theory to other systems. "[PLAIN]http://www.20sim.com/webhelp/modeling_tutorial/iconic_diagrams/acrossandthrough.htm" are not limited to electrical, you could apply the same principles to mechanical systems, and solve with the same mesh and nodal analysis. and this probably goes back to why conventional current is used instead of electron current. it keeps things like power calculations in generalized through and across variable network theory consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
i'm not exactly sure i understand the question. passive components are passive no matter which current convention you choose, but...

Exactly!

I think what coolpursuit is asking (and I'd like to know, too :smile:) is why it's called a "passive" convention …

passive components are passive (!), but what does that have to do with the sign convention for current? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Exactly!

I think what coolpursuit is asking (and I'd like to know, too :smile:) is why it's called a "passive" convention …

passive components are passive (!), but what does that have to do with the sign convention for current? :confused:

i have no idea why it's called a passive convention. why not call it source sign convention? why not label electrons positive? that's why i say i don't understand the question. conventions are conventions, and are chosen at convenience. some choices really don't matter, as long as we all agree on the definitions.

Proton Soup said:
why not call it source sign convention?

Why not indeed! :biggrin:

But if it was called that, coolpursuit and I wouldn't be asking why … it would be obvious!
why not label electrons positive?

If we asked why negative rather than positive (for electrons, or for charge generally), the answer is that there are only two choices, and the choice was only arbitrary as between those two, in the sense that the word "positive" has no prior meaning … it was undefined. But "passive" does have a prior meaning … it describes a type of component, the opposite of "active" components.

So why is the convention associated by name with those components?

It just makes sense (to me anyway) that we would use passive sign convention for passive components (like resistors), and the opposite -- active sign convention -- for active components (like batteries).

Redbelly98 said:
It just makes sense (to me anyway) that we would use passive sign convention for passive components (like resistors), and the opposite -- active sign convention -- for active components (like batteries).

Yes, but doesn't the passive sign convention apply to both?

Or am I missing the point of the convention? :confused:

(i'm not a very conventional goldfish :rolleyes:)

Redbelly98 said:

that's just the thing, tho. if we choose electron current (by convention), then the signs for current change in both active and passive components.

tiny-tim said:
Yes, but doesn't the passive sign convention apply to both?

Or am I missing the point of the convention? :confused:

Hi Tim.

No, for batteries active sign convention (opposite to PSC) is used instead.

With passive sign convention, a resistor has positive current when the voltage is positive: current flows from + to - within the resistor.

With active sign convention, a battery has positive current and voltage when connected to a resistor. Current flows from - to + within the battery.

If you like, I could provide a couple of drawings showing this, but I hope you can understand it from my description so far.

p.s. I'm thinking that the whole issue of negative charge flow, and electron flow being opposite to conventional current flow, is not really relevant here.

I don't really like that wiki article either. Example 1.3 is just plain wrong. In this example the resistor is supplying power to the circuit and they state the opposite.

**Ok of course it can't actually be a "resistor" then but that's unimportant to me. Whatever it is it's clear that the device with voltages and currents as given is suppling power and not as they state absorbing it.

Last edited:

1. Why is it called "passive" sign convention?

The term "passive" in the passive sign convention refers to the fact that the convention treats elements in a circuit as if they are passive components, such as resistors and capacitors, which do not generate energy. This convention simplifies the analysis of circuits by assuming that all sources are delivering power to the circuit and all other elements are consuming it.

2. What is the purpose of using passive sign convention?

The passive sign convention is used to simplify the analysis of electrical circuits by treating all elements as either sources or loads. This allows for a consistent and systematic approach to solving complex circuits without having to consider the direction of current flow.

3. How does passive sign convention differ from active sign convention?

The main difference between passive and active sign conventions lies in the treatment of sources. In the passive sign convention, sources are considered to deliver power to the circuit, while in the active sign convention, sources are considered to absorb energy from the circuit. This difference affects the sign of power associated with each element in the circuit.

4. Is passive sign convention always used in circuit analysis?

No, the passive sign convention is not always used in circuit analysis. It is most commonly used in DC circuit analysis, but in certain cases, such as AC circuits with transformers, the active sign convention may be more appropriate. It ultimately depends on the specific circuit being analyzed and the preference of the analyst.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using passive sign convention?

One potential disadvantage of using the passive sign convention is that it does not always accurately reflect the physical behavior of a circuit. For example, in some cases, a source may actually be absorbing power rather than delivering it, but the passive sign convention would still treat it as a power source. Additionally, using the passive sign convention can sometimes lead to errors or confusion if not applied correctly.