Why y=y' in the Lorentz transformation?

In summary, the definition of length contraction does not apply in the x-direction when the relative motion is in the y-direction.
Johnls
By y I mean any perpendicular axis to the axis in which there is movement.

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, a boost in ##x## direction doesn't change components of four-vectors in ##y## and ##z## direction. For an introduction to special relativity, see my SRT manuscript (unfinished, but the basic concepts on Lorentz transformations are all in):

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

vanhees71 said:
By definition, a boost in ##x## direction doesn't change components of four-vectors in ##y## and ##z## direction. For an introduction to special relativity, see my SRT manuscript (unfinished, but the basic concepts on Lorentz transformations are all in):

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf
Thanks for the response!
By definition?
I can Imagine length contraction in the y-axis without it violating any definitions.
The link doesn't work for me.

Johnls said:
I can Imagine length contraction in the y-axis without it violating any definitions.
Can you really? If I have a 1m rule held perpendicular to my motion and so do you, and we are on a collision course - what happens when we collide? Whose rod is shorter? Why?

Johnls said:
Thanks for the response!
By definition?
The link doesn't work for me.

Can you come up with a simple thought experiment that shows that there cannot be length contraction in the ##y## direction when the relative motion is in the ##x## direction?

Ibix said:
Can you really? If I have a 1m rule held perpendicular to my motion and so do you, and we are on a collision course - what happens when we collide? Whose rod is shorter? Why?

PeroK said:
Can you come up with a simple thought experiment that shows that there cannot be length contraction in the ##y## direction when the relative motion is in the ##x## direction?

I was about to say:
"I can imagine that in my reference frame your ruler will be shorter and in your reference frame my ruler will be shorter."
but then I realized that if I place a chalk on to top and bottom of each ruler the argument by symmetry makes perfect sense, because there should be only one result. Is this a valid thought experiment?

Johnls said:
I was about to say:
"I can imagine that in my reference frame your ruler will be shorter and in your reference frame my ruler will be shorter."
but then I realized that if I place a chalk on to top and bottom of each ruler the argument by symmetry makes perfect sense, because there should be only one result. Is this a valid thought experiment?

Yes, if the two rulers (with the same rest length) move towards each other "vertically", then they must, by symmetry, be of equal height as they pass each other. Each is a valid measurement of length for the other, because the two ends meet simultaneously (in both frames).

Likes DrewD and Ibix
PeroK said:
Here’s one example of a paradox if length contraction occurred along axes other than the direction of motion:

Consider these initial conditions
1. A sphere with proper diameter 1 meter with position (x, y, z) = (-8, 0, 0) and velocity (vx, vy, vz) = (.866c, 0, 0) with respect to you the observer.
2. A vertical plate with a 1.1 meter diameter hole centered on the origin at rest with respect to you.

Using Relativistic Physics, the x-dimension if the sphere is 50% contracted but it still passes through the hole in the plate without interference.

Now switch reference frames to one in which the sphere is at rest. The vertical plate is moving at velocity (vx, vy, vz) = (-.866c, 0, 0) toward the sphere. Standard Relativistic Physics says the sphere is a back to being a real sphere and plate is now half its thickness but the hole is still a 1.1 meter circle and the sphere still passes through the hole without interference.

What if length contraction occurred in all 3 dimensions?
Consider again the initial conditions. The sphere is contracted in all dimensions and again passes through the plate without interference.
Now switch reference frames to one in which the sphere is at rest. The vertical plate is again moving at velocity (vx, vy, vz) = (-.866c, 0, 0) toward the sphere. But the plate is contracted in all dimensions requiring the hole to be contracted too. The sphere cannot make it through the hole. Paradox.

Likes GeorgeDishman
Johnls said:
By y I mean any perpendicular axis to the axis in which there is movement.
y = y' follows from the Lorentz transformation for time, i.e. ##t' = \gamma (t - vx/c^2)##. An observer in the stationary frame measures a distance y in the direction perpendicular to the direction of motion (of an observer in a rocket ship) by sending a light signal from the origin (0,0) to a mirror located at position (0,y) and measuring the time, t, that it takes to return to the point (0,0). It takes t = 2y/c. But the observer in the moving rocket frame sees that same light signal travel a longer path over a time t' = 2d/c, where d is the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle whose base is v(t'/2) and whose height is y'. This is because, in the moving frame, the light is emitted at time t'=0 at a point on the x' axis (-vt'/2,0), travels to a point (0,y') and returns to a point (vt'/2,0) at a time t'.

So let's compare y and y':

(1) ##y = ct/2##
(2) ##y' = \sqrt{d^2-(vt'/2)^2} = \sqrt{(ct'/2)^2 - (vt'/2)^2)} = (ct'/2)(\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}) = (ct'/2)/\gamma##

Since x = 0, ##t' = \gamma t##. So substituting this for t' in (2) results in:

(3) ##y' = c(\gamma t)/2\gamma = ct/2 = y##

AM

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Andrew Mason's example is pretty good.

Johnls said:
Thanks for the response!
By definition?
Think of the Lorentz transformation with only one dimension of space, x.

Now, consider a photon moving in the x and y directions. What transformation would allow the photon to still posses a speed of c? y' = y

This is equivalent to Andrew Mason's example.

Most teachers jump the gun by assuming that y' = y and use it to derive time dilation, working backwards, which ends up confusing students more ironically.
image017.gif

tade said:
Most teachers jump the gun by assuming that y' = y and use it to derive time dilation, which ends up confusing students more ironically.

image017.gif
Although, assuming the Lorentz Transformation not only jumps the gun but jumps half way to the finishing line!

PeroK said:
Although, assuming the Lorentz Transformation not only jumps the gun but jumps half way to the finishing line!
haha, but you see, teachers don't want to derive the LT the proper way, so they just skip it and use a light clock.

the LT itself is not a jump but based on Einstein's postulates.

tade said:
Most teachers jump the gun by assuming that y' = y and use it to derive time dilation, working backwards, which ends up confusing students more ironically.

Well... it's not an unreasonable assumption since it is already there in the Galilean transformation and there has been no issues of length contraction in the Galilean case. It's only after deducing length contraction along the direction of relative motion in special relativity that one goes back and questions the assumption in the transverse direction.

robphy said:
Well... it's not an unreasonable assumption since it is already there in the Galilean transformation and there has been no issues of length contraction in the Galilean case. It's only after deducing length contraction along the direction of relative motion in special relativity that one goes back and questions the assumption in the transverse direction.
hmmm, I'm not so sure. there is an issue in the case of the light clock, which is time dilation being a result of the height remaining the same.

conversely, if we assumed that there was no time dilation then there would be a height contraction of the light clock.

tade said:
hmmm, I'm not so sure. there is an issue in the case of the light clock, which is time dilation being a result of the height remaining the same.

conversely, if we assumed that there was no time dilation then there would be a height contraction of the light clock.

The issue of time-dilation arises because one is invoking the principle of relativity with the light clock...
that the round-trip of the light signal in that light clock marks one tick for that clock, as it would for a clock at rest,
but that elapsed time measured by "the clock at rest" is different than that of "the clock at rest".

While one may be so unhappy with this time-dilation result that one tries to use height-contraction to avoid it,
the arguments above show that no such height-contraction exists (as in the Galilean case, which we already presumed)... since to do so violates the principle of relativity. [I guess one could have also questioned the principle of relativity... and be led to consider other implications... ultimately being tested by experiment.]

So, my point is that consideration of transverse contraction is an afterthought... since transverse-noncontraction is already practically presumed in the Galilean case.

edit: I guess one could have started from scratch altogether [not starting with Galilean physics]... then one has many more assumptions to question.

robphy said:
The issue of time-dilation arises because one is invoking the principle of relativity with the light clock...
that the round-trip of the light signal in that light clock marks one tick for that clock, as it would for a clock at rest,
but that elapsed time measured by "the clock at rest" is different than that of "the clock at rest".

While one may be so unhappy with this time-dilation result that one tries to use height-contraction to avoid it,
the arguments above show that no such height-contraction exists (as in the Galilean case, which we already presumed).

So, my point is that consideration of transverse contraction is an afterthought... since transverse-noncontraction is already practically presumed in the Galilean case.
Although there is no height contraction in the GT, there is no length contraction either.
Ultimately, it has been shown that there should be no height contraction, though I don't agree that that is a reasonable assumption to make from the start.
The simplest assumptions would be Einstein's two postulates.

tade said:
The simplest assumptions would be Einstein's two postulates.
Mmmpff! Must... resist... temptation to talk about 1-postulate derivations... :headbang: :oldbiggrin:

Likes Nugatory
MikeLizzi said:
The sphere cannot make it through the hole. Paradox.
I've seen it as the "Rod and Tube Paradox". The Voigt Transforms suffer from this problem.

Rod_And_Tube_Paradox.png

GeorgeDishman said:
I've seen it as the "Rod and Tube Paradox". The Voigt Transforms suffer from this problem.

View attachment 107973
What does it look like when you draw a Minkowski-esque spacetime diagram and then transform it?

In SR the pole-barn paradox is averted when a Minkowski spacetime transformation reveals the RoS.

The biggest issue with the Voigt transformations is that the primed and un-primed equations are not reciprocal.

Last edited:
tade said:
What does it look like when you draw a Minkowski-esque spacetime diagram and then transform it?

Like there is no length contraction perpendicular to the direction of motion.

tade said:
The biggest issue with the Voigt transformations is that the primed and un-primed equations are not reciprocal.

The biggest issue with the Voigt transformations is that they give the wrong answers, whereas the Lorentz transformations give the right answers. Voigt didn't know that, of course; but we do.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Like there is no length contraction perpendicular to the direction of motion.
I mean a Minkowski-esque diagram but using the Voigt transformations instead.
PeterDonis said:
The biggest issue with the Voigt transformations is that they give the wrong answers, whereas the Lorentz transformations give the right answers. Voigt didn't know that, of course; but we do.
that too.

tade said:
I mean a Minkowski-esque diagram but using the Voigt transformations instead.

I'm not sure you could draw one, because I don't think the Voigt transformations preserve any meaningful geometric invariants. The reason the Minkowski diagram works in SR is that the Lorentz transformations preserve the appropriate geometric invariants.

Likes vanhees71
tade said:
It would be harder to draw because you have to represent both the x and y axes as well as t so it would be a 3D image. For example I could modify this interactive diagram I did for the Twins Paradox to show a section along the axis of the rod and tube to show the wdiths 'into' the screen. As you move the slider, the widths would alter as well as the slope of the worldlines. One way, the tube gets wider and the rod narrower so all is well. Slide it the other way and the opposite happens so the rod becomes bigger than the tube and won't pass through.

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure you could draw one, because I don't think the Voigt transformations preserve any meaningful geometric invariants. The reason the Minkowski diagram works in SR is that the Lorentz transformations preserve the appropriate geometric invariants.
If y'=y/γ , then y=γy'

Then this wouldn't happen and there wouldn't be any collision paradoxes. But if y=γy', it would violate Einstein's first postulate.
rod_and_tube_paradox-png.107973.png

1. Why is y=y' in the Lorentz transformation?

The equation y=y' in the Lorentz transformation is a result of the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the measurements of space and time intervals should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities.

2. Is the equation y=y' always true in the Lorentz transformation?

Yes, the equation y=y' is always true in the Lorentz transformation. It is a fundamental principle in the theory of special relativity and has been extensively tested and confirmed by numerous experiments.

3. How does the equation y=y' affect our understanding of space and time?

The equation y=y' shows that space and time are relative concepts and their measurements are dependent on the observer's frame of reference. This means that what one observer perceives as a certain distance or duration may be different for another observer who is moving at a different velocity.

4. Can you explain the mathematical derivation of y=y' in the Lorentz transformation?

The derivation of y=y' in the Lorentz transformation involves the use of Lorentz equations, which describe how space and time intervals change for observers in relative motion. By using these equations, it can be shown that y=y' is a necessary result for maintaining the principle of relativity.

5. How does the equation y=y' impact our understanding of the speed of light?

The equation y=y' has a significant impact on our understanding of the speed of light. It is a fundamental part of the theory of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities. This means that the speed of light is a constant, and it is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe.