1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why ?

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1
    i know that the molecules in the "freedom" form that have charges equal 0. but i wonder why the molecules still moving to create the diffusion and the effusion?
    some one please explain to me. thanks:!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is unclear exactly what you're asking.

4. Nov 8, 2005 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Diffusion and effusion are not results of any particular interaction between the molecules (except collisions). It is a statistical effect resulting from having a gazillion particles. It works just as well with billiard balls.
    I hope it clarifies your question somewhat.

5. Nov 8, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why wouldn't they move? I think you are saying that because they do not have a net charge the molecues would have no force on them. That's not true- there are other forces. But even if a molecule has no force on it, that doesn't mean it is motionless. It would still move (at constant speed in a straight line) until there was a force (such as hitting another molecule).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook