Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wifi networks. Dangerous for health?

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    Wifi networks. Dangerous for health??

Hi,

Recently, I have installed a wireless router to create a network at home between 2 computers. This question to say the truth has worried me a bit because searching in the net about this question we can find a lot of opinions warning about the use of that kind of devices as hypothetical danger to the health in spite of not having one definitive conclusion, (maybe by created interests ¿?)

In my case the router I bought runs to a frequency of 2,4 Ghz. I have placed the router near of me when I work with the computer.

I have read that to 2,4 Ghz (at this frequency also runs the microwaves, but these ones are isolated in a "Faraday Cage" that avoids the exit of radiation to outside) the H20 warms up when enters -partially- by resonance with the molecule. Does this means that this frequency is dangerous to the human body?

Are there routers that irradiate to less frequency and therefore they are less dangerous for the health?

Thanks with anticipation

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Wifi networks. Dangerous for health??

The wifi puts out a few 100mW at most.
    If you go outside you will receive 1000x as much radio emission from a big unregulated source in the sky.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  4. Oct 17, 2008 #3

The average power output for things like routers is of the order of milliwatts (0.001 W), whereas the output from a microwave oven is of the order of killowatts (1000 W). That's 1000000 times more powerful. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Oct 17, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't worry- I have a plan in progress even now to shut down that unregulated source!

6. Oct 17, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The computer company that makes the SPARC processor tried with a copyright suit, the guy delivering the subpoena never came back

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?