Wifi networks. Dangerous for health?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lanz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Health Networks Wifi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
lanz
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Wifi networks. Dangerous for health??

Hi,

Recently, I have installed a wireless router to create a network at home between 2 computers. This question to say the truth has worried me a bit because searching in the net about this question we can find a lot of opinions warning about the use of that kind of devices as hypothetical danger to the health in spite of not having one definitive conclusion, (maybe by created interests ¿?)

In my case the router I bought runs to a frequency of 2,4 Ghz. I have placed the router near of me when I work with the computer.

I have read that to 2,4 Ghz (at this frequency also runs the microwaves, but these ones are isolated in a "Faraday Cage" that avoids the exit of radiation to outside) the H20 warms up when enters -partially- by resonance with the molecule. Does this means that this frequency is dangerous to the human body?

Are there routers that irradiate to less frequency and therefore they are less dangerous for the health?

Thanks with anticipation

Regards
 
Physics news on Phys.org


The wifi puts out a few 100mW at most.
If you go outside you will receive 1000x as much radio emission from a big unregulated source in the sky.
 
Last edited:


lanz said:
I have read that to 2,4 Ghz (at this frequency also runs the microwaves, but these ones are isolated in a "Faraday Cage" that avoids the exit of radiation to outside) the H20 warms up when enters -partially- by resonance with the molecule. Does this means that this frequency is dangerous to the human body?

Are there routers that irradiate to less frequency and therefore they are less dangerous for the health?

wikipedia said:
Maximum power output from a Bluetooth radio is 100 mW, 2.5 mW, and 1 mW for Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 devices respectively, which puts Class 1 at roughly the same level as mobile phones, and the other two classes much lower.

The average power output for things like routers is of the order of milliwatts (0.001 W), whereas the output from a microwave oven is of the order of killowatts (1000 W). That's 1000000 times more powerful. I wouldn't worry about it.
 


mgb_phys said:
The wifi puts out a few 100mW at most.
If you go outside you will receive 1000x as much radio emission from a big unregulated source in the sky.

Don't worry- I have a plan in progress even now to shut down that unregulated source!
 


The computer company that makes the SPARC processor tried with a copyright suit, the guy delivering the subpoena never came back